• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Svetlana vs. Winged C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Really depends on when they were made, prior to the bankruptcy of SED Svetlana and =C= were one and the same, post bankruptcy the Svetlana tubes sold in the USA and Canada are made by New Sensor's ExpoPul plant on their own tooling. SED went bankrupt in the early years of this decade, no longer remember exactly when.

If you want genuine Svetlana Spb made tubes you need to buy ones with the =C= label on them, if you just want a good price on 6550C then I suppose it doesn't matter.

Winged C valves can be readily got from easter European valve dealers at very reasonable money. Postage is probably as cheap as getting them from within the USA. Most have got Ebay shops. They don't talk about brands specifically so you would have to inquire before buying.

They tend to designate them by their Russian numbers.

Tone wise, my experience of the winged C valves are that they are sweet and full sounding. Some of my favourite valves overall.

Shoog

I have a quad of both....although comparison is rather difficult for me becuase when I bought my amp the Svetlana tubes were marked as weak...although they did sound great, I eventually replaced them with winged C's. I am getting to the replace juncture again and am thinking about going with a KT88 this time (just to see how they are).

I can tell you this....I love the sound of the Winged C tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.