Svetlana vs. Winged C - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Svetlana vs. Winged C

I recently found a really good deal on a quad of Svetlana 6550c tubes. Has anyone here have any experience with these? How do they compare to the Winged C version? Reliability issues?

Thanks,

John.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The winged C are the original Russian Svetlana Brand.

Shoog
Old 18th April 2008, 01:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are there any differences in quality? (Or tone?)
Old 18th April 2008, 01:57 PM   #4
cyteen is offline cyteen  England
diyAudio Member

Can can only speak with regard to the EL34 where both the build and tone quality was better with the winged =C=.
Old 18th April 2008, 03:49 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Really depends on when they were made, prior to the bankruptcy of SED Svetlana and =C= were one and the same, post bankruptcy the Svetlana tubes sold in the USA and Canada are made by New Sensor's ExpoPul plant on their own tooling. SED went bankrupt in the early years of this decade, no longer remember exactly when.

If you want genuine Svetlana Spb made tubes you need to buy ones with the =C= label on them, if you just want a good price on 6550C then I suppose it doesn't matter.
Old 18th April 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Winged C valves can be readily got from easter European valve dealers at very reasonable money. Postage is probably as cheap as getting them from within the USA. Most have got Ebay shops. They don't talk about brands specifically so you would have to inquire before buying.

They tend to designate them by their Russian numbers.

Tone wise, my experience of the winged C valves are that they are sweet and full sounding. Some of my favourite valves overall.

Shoog
Old 18th April 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a quad of both....although comparison is rather difficult for me becuase when I bought my amp the Svetlana tubes were marked as weak...although they did sound great, I eventually replaced them with winged C's. I am getting to the replace juncture again and am thinking about going with a KT88 this time (just to see how they are).

I can tell you this....I love the sound of the Winged C tubes.
Old 18th April 2008, 05:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If anyone is interested, here's the link (scoll down towards the bottom):

http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6550?os...d77b1c27a1b885

Hide this!Advertise here!