• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grid bias with Class A SE ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has this been done and is it practical? The obvious benefits would be less heat generated in the amp due to elimination of the cathode resistor, as well as no resistor and capacitor to introduce time constants and affect the bias during transients.

If I wanted to take a 6bq5 and apply around -12v of C- to the grid through a 470k resistor and tie the cathode to ground, would this give me any obvious advantage over the typical cathode bias scheme?

I have a second 6.3v tap in my amp which I could FWD to about -16v and then use an LM337 or 7812 ( the negative version at least) to regulate it, with a pot on the output to adjust the voltage to the grid.
Sugguestions?

Hi

It surely can be done, and you could probably find schematics were it is done! An alternative for SE biasing I have in the back of my mind is the one presented by Broskie here

Scroll down to the 4th and 5th picture. An auto-bias using the LM337 or LM337+MJE350 for higher voltages. It is limited to class A operation, but that is no problem for a SE design which operates is class A anyway.

Erik

My experience with this type of CCS bias is that overall the sound is slightly tighter and cleaner sounding than with the unbypasssed self bias. The thing to bare in mind is that if you are bypassing the cathode resistor then that should dominate the result and there should be nearly no difference in the end result.

Shoog

Back to the original question about using a bias voltage instead
of a cathode resistor. I just looked in the RCA tube manual for the 6bq5. If you use use cathode bias the max grid leak resistance is 1 meg ohm. If you use a fixed bias the max grid leak resistance is 300k ohm. So you shouldn't use a 470k ohm for your bias supply unless you unless you used a 470k from grid to ground also but then you would need a 24v supply. Or just use a 250k resistor with your 12v supply.

If you use a fixed bias the max grid leak resistance is 300k ohm. So you shouldn't use a 470k ohm for your bias supply unless you unless you used a 470k from grid to ground also but then you would need a 24v supply. Or just use a 250k resistor with your 12v supply.

Forgot about that, thanks for pointing it out.
What would be the reccomended bias voltage to achieve? shouln't It be really the same as what would normally be dropped by the cathode resistor?

ThSpeakerDude88 said:
Does using Neg. Bias give me an advantage over cathode bias in an SE amp, other than the obvious benefit of not using a heat-generating power resistor/ capacitor in the signal path?

The three main advantages are that you can use much smaller decoupling caps on the output of the bias supply, so can use a cheaper high quality film cap as the final. Secondly, you can readily play with your operating point. You may find the sweet spot for your system and taste. Third advantage is that you get to use your full B+ voltage.

The disadvantage is that you need a negative supply. BTW, unless you are regulating your B+, it's not a good idea to regulate the bias supply. If your line voltage increases, you want your bias to go more negative, so the output tube won't want to run away. Better to use a simple series of RC sections in this case.

Sheldon

Another disadvantage is that some high GM valves (mostly are valves designed for series regulation, as the 6C33C, 6AS7, 13E1) are better not to be operated with fixed bias, some datasheet even warn for this. Some solutions I have seen so far:

- bias compensation in this article from Borbely audio about a SE 6C33C http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb396225.asp
(I think it would actually require some tweaking of the zener value)
- a fixed bias with servo. One possible implementation is given here: http://www.tubecad.com/2005/May/blog0046.htm More recently some micro controller versions appeared on the market, as here http://mennovanderveen.nl/eng/autobias.html
- Morgan Jones has a very ingenious solution presented in his Crystal Palace design. Some day I will copy it :D (I am gathering the parts...)

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.