• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Input potentiometer selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Just a quick question that I couldn't readily answer for myself after a few minutes of persistent Googling; I'm getting very close to being done with my very first Aikido line stage, and the time has come for me to select the proper input potentiometer for use as a volume control.

This led me to the following question: What guides input potentiometer selection, in terms of total resistance? I see designs that call for 50k, 100k, 150k, 220k, et cetera; and I'm not sure I fully understand what constitutes a "good" choice for input attenuator.

I realize that the input attenuator sets up a voltage divider relationship, and that the precise total resistance ought not to matter when it comes to % attenuation.. so why all the widely different values? Is this to account for different source output impedances? Is source output impedance even a factor?

--k

If the top of the volume pot is the first thing the signal sees then your 50K compromise is dead on. 47K Ohms is the traditional input impedance for pre-amps or amps.

I have some doubts that CTS is the best choice for sound quality. Purpose made audio attenuators are available from several sources (such as Michael Percy ) they can run into real money. If you buy, don't forget to get LOG taper.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I don't know what CTS stands for, but I agree that a switched attenuator is a good idea, if you have space for it and don't mind the extra cost. This is especially true for a stereo volume control, because tracking of ganged potentiometers leaves a lot to be desired.

Aye, I'm 100% aware of the consensus that stepped attenuators are superior to the carbon-track-scraper potentiometers I'm used to (That's probably not what CTS stands for. As far as my cursory Googling has led me to believe, CTS is a brand name).

Since I'm a cheapo, and this is my first real foray into the world of valve audio, I'm attempting to keep things sane and in-budget. As compromises go, I bought a fako-ALPS 50k stereo pot on eBay; I figure this is probably a measure better than whatever I find in my own junkpile. Even so, there's room in the case for a proper stepped attenuator should I decide that's where I want to go.

Geek said:
Hi,

All mine are 100K (50K for my leftover CTS bin). People bring in SS for repair/mod first thing I do is rip out the 10K pots and put in 100K. They find it plays so much better with their tube pre's :D

Cheers!

i use a 100k in the PV12 design. for my use, i need to turn it only very little ie. 10% of the total wiper. how do i get it to sound where i need it, say around 50% of wiper?

should it be lower than 100k or higher?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.