• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin 300b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one six months ago. Everything was find until last monday, a big white smoke came from underneath the ampli and a lot of blue sparks in the head of the 274B. After removing some screws I can tell that 2 caps of 10uF under 450v are gone. Is anybody else have had this problem yet?
Cheers

The problem with yaqin bought from ebay from a non official seller or even from an official is that you will have to ship back an 28Kg amplifier. Mean that you will never do it and nothing prove that you will have it back. So you better do some DIY and go thank to this forum...
There is a 50 Ohms/50 Watt resistor and a 100KOhms resistor on parallel of each 10uF/450V Caps.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What happens on the GF version of this amp, is that the metal clad resistors -- not being heat sinked -- get REALLY hot, and prematurly expire -- so far everytime by spraying their guts all over the inside of the amplifier.

We have been mounting better quality 25w metal clads to the bottom plate & replacing the caps. This is best done before the caps go.

dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for answering me. I don't understand you mean what by GF.
You advise me to replace he 50W resistors by a 25W? I don't understand why? Do you have a diagram of this amplifier, if yes can you please send me an email with this schematic attached
Thank you very much.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
zoukidouki said:
Hi Dave,

Thank you for answering me. I don't understand you mean what by GF.
You advise me to replace he 50W resistors by a 25W? I don't understand why? Do you have a diagram of this amplifier, if yes can you please send me an email with this schematic attached
Thank you very much.

GF = Grant Fidelity.

Does your amp look like the attached?

We replaced the 100w (not heatsinked) Rs with 25W ones (heatsinked to the bottom panel).

dave

PS: what is the tube complement of your amp?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Your amp is a bit different Schema wize, althou the topology is the same, so it is possible layout is the same. I don't know for sure which caps they are in the schema... i do know the physical location, and it would have helped if i had attached the picture i intended.

dave

Attachments

• close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 255
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.