Hammond Power Transformer Buzz... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Guiness is offline Guiness  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hammond Power Transformer Buzz...

I have not used a Hammond Power Transformer for awhile... I came across a old 272JX and it has a nice buzz to it while running.

do they all have a buzz to them when running? Just curious

Thanks
Old 12th April 2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had some models that have a good buzz to them. You may have a defective one. If not there are two things that can cause it. Either it's overloaded. Or you may have some DC on your mains supply.
Old 12th April 2008, 05:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have only purchased two Hammond power transformers, both 278CXs that I was drawing just over half of the rated current. Both put out a pretty good buzz.
Old 12th April 2008, 06:15 PM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default No accounting for tastes...

Well, let's see, Guiness says it's a "nice" buzz, Jeb-D says it's a "good" buzz, and SpreadSpectrum says it's a "pretty good" buzz. Sounds like everybody likes it.
Old 12th April 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, let's see, Guiness says it's a "nice" buzz, Jeb-D says it's a "good" buzz, and SpreadSpectrum says it's a "pretty good" buzz. Sounds like everybody likes it.
Yeah, it really helps the sound quality, like a veil has been lifted
Old 12th April 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Used a number of Hammond transformers. Mine typically put out a "hefty" buzz. All without any help from cannabis.

Chokes seem to be quieter than their transformers.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have two Hammond 272JX and they both buzz slightly. But there are two members on this forum told me that their 272JX run silent. May be those two are defective.
Someone told me that PT can buzz when distorted AC line voltage is fed.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

SpreadSpectrum,
I see you live in SoCal, at my place the mains has some DC which causes mechanical hum. Also, Hammod transformers are spec'd at 115V Vin but at my place the mains is about 122V. I use a power resistor in series with the primary to drop the extra 7V. It also adds DCR to the primary which brings the Hum level down quite a bit. Though I would only recommend that if your amps are on the lower powered side.

There are some "DC trap" and "DC blocker" circuits made up of a couple capacitors and diodes you can build. You can also run a search on mechanical hum and it brings up useful info. This is a common problem for people using toroids. EI core transformers are less prone to this problem, but they are not immune.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:16 PM   #9
agent.5 is online now agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone used the 700 series of Hammond transformers? Any buzz?

http://www.hammondmfg.com/700.htm
Old 12th April 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Guiness is offline Guiness  United States
diyAudio Member

This is good to know... I just tested a small Hammond 190-0-190 transformer... no hum.

The 272JX is spec'ed at 300-0-300.... but is putting out 337-0-337... go figure.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hide this!Advertise here!