• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube DI Help, Please: Substitutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted much of this ramble on the "Musical Instruments" forum, but I'm looking for some tube-specific help here, hope that's not breaking too many protocols....

I'm building a tube-powered DI box, mainly for recording bass. It's based on the Altec 1566A, though I'm not including the Lo-Z input as I don't believe I'll need this feature (plus the chassis I have is limited in size). Here's a schematic:
<p>
altec_3b.jpg

<p>
My questions are:

-Because there's an output transformer (an Altec 15095), do I need to provide a ground lift? And if I do, is it as simple as breaking the ground connection or shunting it (as Jensen suggests http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as066.pdf through a small-value resistor and capacitor?

-Speaking of preamp tubes, I'm thinking that I won't need as much gain as the Altec provides. The original uses a pair of 12AX7s, with the capability to bypass the first stage via a "hi/lo" switch.

What are the ramifications of substituting a completely different tube for the first gain stage (I'm thinking perhaps a 5879 pentode) and dispensing with the switch? Obviously they're very different tubes, but as long as the plate resistances and B+ supply were dealt with....

Many thanks,
Seth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.