EL34 recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
mikecj is offline mikecj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default EL34 recommendations

Just purchased my first tube stereo a Jolida 302. I'm on a budjet and am satisfied so faqr with the improvement over the "crap" ss system I was running.

I have been using tube guitar amps for decades and have been building them for a few years no.

What I am looking for is recommendation or opinion regarding the el34 in the Jolida and which brands are preferred for the HIFI application. [came with chinese glass sounds okay]

I have upgraded the coupling caps, and have a pair of NOS GE long plate 12ax7 and a pair of nos GE 12at7wb that I will replace the stock tube with.

I would like some feedback re the el34 though. JJ, Groove, EH,?????

Thanks
Mike
Old 11th April 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
alexg is offline alexg  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I like the JJ EL34 better than the EH.

The EH has more gritty sound on my system, the JJ EL34 is great for vocals. But this is on my amp, your Jolida might sound different.
Old 11th April 2008, 03:48 PM   #3
jduffy is offline jduffy  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree, you gotta get some tubes and live with them for a bit to see how they work out. In time you find which ones give you the warm and fuzzy feeling.

From my experience with the 34 in a guitar amp, they can be so different, even from the same manufacturer!

Snag a few and do some listening tests. I'm sure some people will post here with their choice picks.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:34 PM   #4
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Jolida EL34

In my Jolida 202A (NOS Amperex 6072, NOS Sylvania 12BH7) the JJ EL34 better, than EH, or chinese Shunguang.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is some related reading here:

Best CHEAP + best BEST current production EL34?

and here:

6L6GT vs. EL34/6CA7 and WHY?

For what it's worth, I once picked up a quad of the fat bottle ElectroHarmonix 6CA7-EH. I haven't had a chance to play them yet...
Old 11th April 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,

I'm also interested in new EL34's for my 302B, still using the original Shuguangs, but wired in triode. I was going to try JJ KT77's, but they seem to have gotten a pretty bad reputation, so they're off my list.
I tried a quad of Ruby EL34's briefly, they sounded like they would be better in a guitar amp, nice tone but not very hifi.

Rumor has it New Sensor is coming out with a KT77 reissue (waiting to see what they are like).

Stretching the budget a bit, there is also NOS RFT/Siemens EL34, which are supposed to be excellent but not cheap.

What caps did you use for coupling? I have some Russian .22uf K40 pio's, but they aren't in yet. The leads appear to be too short to reach without modification.

Jeff
Old 11th April 2008, 07:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

SED makes a nice EL34. If money is no object then a set of Mullard xf2's.

Also be aware that Ruby = Sino = Shuguang as far as I'm aware.

I've also found that for preamp tubes anything blackplate is the way to go. RCA's if you can get 'em. Sylvania 6679 blackplates make a great 12at7 alternate and are cheap.
Old 11th April 2008, 07:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Where is Bob Latino with his re-issue KT66 recommendation?

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2422

Only downside is the price...
Old 14th April 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
mikecj is offline mikecj  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies and links guys....

Jeff I used "Kimber[s]" to replace the interstage couplers mainly because they are what I had on hand.

Any one had experience with the Groove Tube " reissued "Mullard "Style"" EL34s ordered in the 6 to 8 range of their "breakup / distortion" index ???

Thanks again all

Mike
Old 15th April 2008, 12:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
I would question the quality of most of JJ's tubes. I have JJ EL34's, EH EL34's, SED EL34's, new production Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR, Chinese 6L6's, etc. I believe the Shuguang EL34B is a nice tube for little money. The SED is a nice step up from them. Next on my list would be a quad of the TAD mesh plate EL34's.

As far as the driver goes, I would adjust the operating point of the 12AX7 to draw more current and replace it with a 12AV7. 12AT7's are a dime a dozed on eBay. Sylvania grey plates ought to be great in that app.

Hide this!Advertise here!