Simple 45/2A3 schematic error? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Simple 45/2A3 schematic error?

I was perusing thru the JE Labs schematic sourcing parts when I came across the 6SL7 filiment off the Hammond 272 DX.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that set-up wrong? JE has the heater filiment grounded off one side...how is that going to define ground?
Reading MJ on page 330...Morgan is adament that grounding one side of an AC filiment will induce hum....think about it...one side of a waveform shunted directly to ground....just as JE Labs has it in their schemo!
Morgan has either a humdinger or precision matched resisitors or a center tap so define ground.......not merely grounding one side................Anyone caught this?
________________________________________Rick...... ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (14.2 KB, 334 views)
Old 14th April 2008, 03:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

^^^^

It's strictly a case of yes, no, maybe. I did a design that has no noticeable hum at all with a floating AC heater supply (to avoid Vhk poofage problems). Usually, some sort of balanced AC is best, but each case may be different, and it's a case of try it and see what happens.

Hide this!Advertise here!