My Tabor Clone is finished. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 07:16 PM   #31
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
What is your source? A CDP? Can it drive easy the input transformer?

Tyimo
Old 10th January 2011, 07:42 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I use a single ended version of a Super Linear Cathode Follower as a preamp, so effectively a CF is the source. It has absolutely no issues driving the Toroidal phase splitter or the OEP's, and bass is in no way compromised. I think the reason is probably because the valve grids are such a slight load compared to the usual 600R input impedance these transformers are designed to cope with.
I would guess an anode follower might be a different question though.

Shoog
Old 10th January 2011, 07:56 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Could you show me that Super Linear Cathode Follower preamp??
Old 10th January 2011, 08:04 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the last version I built I never got around to drawing up an accurate schematic for it. It uses two ECF80's per channel. There is an input pentode strapped as a triode, the output Cathode follower is direct coupled and sits on a pentode CCS. On the top is a sense triode which keeps the voltage over the CF constant at all times.
It looks and sounds very like a Aikido, but is based on the Vacuum State FVP5.

One day I will circuit trace it and put it up on the web somewhere.

Shoog
Old 10th January 2011, 08:28 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

O.K. Thanks!
Old 12th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Could someone please guide me how to implement the design in post 1 with the DHT 1624 instead of the indirect heated 807. I am aware this will complicate the power supply regarding the filament supply where the goal of Shoog was to simplify. For such a re-design at least the following should be adressed, I think:
- Integrate the ccs in the filament heater. As the filament voltage is only 2.5V hum does not need to be an issue. Otherwise, four separate DHT-filament regulators (each with their own filament tap) of the design of Rod Coleman or Guido Tent for the 1624 can be applied.
- Whether the B+ can be used as is or should be adapted depends on if the operation point of a 1624 is different from a 807. Apart from that I notice that Gary applies a higher voltage in his design for the 1624 on his site, although it is not easy to determine exactly because of the cumulating voltages that allow for dc-coupling. Can you please elaborate on this?

Hide this!Advertise here!