Cleaning up baked enamel/painted finishes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning up baked enamel/painted finishes

My amp chassis are Hammond steel ones that have a black baked enamel finish on them...long story short, there's a bit of an oil-based wood stain on them. What would you guys suggest to take the stain off without damaging the finish underneath?

Also, I've got to dust/clean them off anyway. What would you guys suggest for that, and maybe something to remove surface dirt/contaminates? The finish on the transformers is painted...I'm a little worried about scratching that....

Thanks guys
Old 5th April 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

To keep the integrity of the original finish I'd start off with the most innocuous substance possible and work my way up. Since you're trying to remove oil, stay away from anything water based. How about mineral oil?
Old 5th April 2008, 08:27 PM   #3
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

try Naphtha. I've never had it remove hardened enamel, but it will remove most new oil based mistakes.
Old 5th April 2008, 09:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some things I would try. Polishing compound found in auto stores. It's a past that you rub on but it's milder then rubbing compound which is more aggressive. Mother's Mag Wheel polish. And something called AFTA. It's available from places like Home Depot back in the glue/paint area. It's an inhibited organic solvent, and it won't attack well cured paint.

Hide this!Advertise here!