• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

old question - lost answer 6AS7 SE amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again

I had asked previously about 6AS7/6080 in SE, and someone was kind enough to send me a schematic for an amp using 5687 driver and small toroidal power xfmr as interstage and OPT.

Now I can't find it :xeye: .

What I'm particularly interested in at the moment is the circuit parameters if I were to find or wind a 'real' OPT.

I'm looking at Richard's stuff/Triode Guy's xfmr math 'lesson'.

If plate resistance for a 6AS7 is 280 ohms, is it 140 for a pair in parallel? I would assume so, but am asking in case mu or something else changes with two paralleled 6AS7.

I also assume plate current for 0ne is in the range of 80-120 ma (say 100) so I'll take 2 at 0.2A.

Any links or confirmation of my musings above are appreciated.

Thanks

Murray

G

Joined 2002
multi-volti said:
Hi again

I had asked previously about 6AS7/6080 in SE, and someone was kind enough to send me a schematic for an amp using 5687 driver and small toroidal power xfmr as interstage and OPT.

Now I can't find it :xeye: .

What I'm particularly interested in at the moment is the circuit parameters if I were to find or wind a 'real' OPT.

I'm looking at Richard's stuff/Triode Guy's xfmr math 'lesson'.

If plate resistance for a 6AS7 is 280 ohms, is it 140 for a pair in parallel? I would assume so, but am asking in case mu or something else changes with two paralleled 6AS7.

I also assume plate current for 0ne is in the range of 80-120 ma (say 100) so I'll take 2 at 0.2A.

Any links or confirmation of my musings above are appreciated.

Thanks

Murray

Here is a starting point. The plate voltage is 135v@80mA.

Attachments

• se.jpg
    se.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 495

G

Joined 2002
I want to add the fact that dsavitsk had a hand in that schematic I posted for you. It is untried but I'm comfortable with the operating point on the 6AS7. You should get about 2 watts out with those operating points without stressing the tube very much. The interstage is a Edcor as are the output transformers. Please post your impressions if you end up building a SE 6as7 amp.

OK, and is rp is function of operating point or the tube itself, pretty constant?

I ask because I don't know in what context the 280 ohm rp number I found relates the the operating point of the example circuit recommended.

I'm making this more difficult than you may think necessary because I started designing an SE OPT for 6C33C-B years ago. I started to think that why not kill two birds with one heavier-than-necessary stone. One 6C33C-B with a 600:8 OPT or a 6AS7 at 1250:5...I thought why not a parallel pair of 6AS7's at 600:8, use the same OPT design (I have some laminations and bobbins already). Even the plate current for 2x6AS7 vs 1x6C33C-B are agreeable.

I want to work thru both cases and design for the which ever has the tougher freq. response req't, if there is even much difference.

I kind of skipped the tube O.P. theory years ago, hence the dummy questions, and I've already done magnetics design in a different field, enough to follow the instructions others have posted. I did all the ham & 2nd Class FCC radiotelephone & radar stuff years ago, so I'm not totally green...just on the stuff I've never applied before.

Two other sad projects I never finished were a bobbin winder with indexed layer winding (someday), and bought an ancient toroid winder on eBay that needs repair/conversion to electronics after removing it's medieval rack & wedge limit switches & broken mechanical wire counter. No promises when I'll finish those, but spreadsheets are easier to finsh!

Thank you all for helping and humoring me.

gack - I will never figure out this security krap - every time I reply I'm told I'm not logged in...home, work, various places :O(

multi-volti said:
OK, and is rp is function of operating point or the tube itself, pretty constant?

In general, Gm decreases (and thus rp increases) as current decreases. A quick look at the datasheets shows the 280 ohms to be at 120mA, so at 80mA rp will be higher. How much might be estimated from the plate curves, but I haven't seen this information published anywhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.