• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EC86 and phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You'll have to design from scratch, but based on the Philips specs this looks like a very promising tube. A lot of the information you will need is in the earlier Philips (1947 spec sheet).

The recommended conditions are Ip12mA, Vp 175V, RL 5.6K (I might be inclined to go a bit higher, say 10K. ), Vg -1.5V.. With some tweaking circuits designed around triode connected D3A will work.. Note that the EC86/6CM4 is typically about 3dB noisier than trioded connected D3A which is insanely quiet. (I use them.) Should still be far quieter than the noise resistance present in most moving magnet phono cartridges.

Dear Benny,

Your post is already more than 10 years old, so this response may be useless.... However, I have discovered a few interesting designs for an EC86-based phono preamplifier on a Thai website, called www.diyaudiovillage.net - Index. If you are still interested, I can send you my downloaded documents. You can of course also visit the Thai site (it has many interesting schematics, but unfortunately, attachments of old postings on this site tend to disappear).

Best regards,

Aren

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.