GU-50, GM70 and KT88 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 02:53 PM   #41
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
450V B+, 510 Ohm 10W cathode bias resistor shunted by 50 uF 100V capacitor; 2K 100 MA OT; 100 Ohm screen grid stopper connected to anode; G3 connected to cathode; 220K grid leak resistor to the ground (may be higher due to autobias).

That's it.

Can you draw it now?
Thanks, for the suggestion, it'll be a good starting point for tryal of my PSE.
Will also try 480V and 45mA per tube.

You prefer the GU50 with self bias over fixed bias?
Old 24th September 2012, 04:43 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmas View Post
You prefer the GU50 with self bias over fixed bias?
I mean single ended. Self bias means negative feedback by DC current, so you don't need to measure and adjust bias. The tube will do it for you. However, for parallel SE it would be better to have the way to adjust bias for each tube, but anyway it is better to select tubes for parallel operation.
Old 25th September 2012, 01:26 PM   #43
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I mean single ended. Self bias means negative feedback by DC current, so you don't need to measure and adjust bias. The tube will do it for you. However, for parallel SE it would be better to have the way to adjust bias for each tube, but anyway it is better to select tubes for parallel operation.
I'm aware of what it is, but having to decide and as in my experience most tubes sound better with fixed bias, I was wondering about your suggestion.

Even with fixed bias I always add a bit of "self bias", even if it is just to measure current and stabilise the DC part.
When in parallel it is usefull to be able to adjust bias independent for each tube, as it gives more latitude on pairing the tubes.

If you have some experience on using the GU50, I'd like to profit from it, as I'm building a PSE with 2xGU50 into a LL1620/90.
PSU is about 480V (I can reduce it replacing the rectifier tube or using some stabilising circuit). I think 480V is too much for triode GU50 and to little for pentode, but as I will only be using each tube at 45mA, the grid current will not aproach the limit of 5mA. Can you help me on this?
Old 26th September 2012, 04:06 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
450V B+, 510 Ohm 10W cathode bias resistor shunted by 50 uF 100V capacitor; 2K 100 MA OT; 100 Ohm screen grid stopper connected to anode; G3 connected to cathode; 220K grid leak resistor to the ground (may be higher due to autobias).
Hi Wavebourn,

I have been playing with GU50 Triode curves for a while now, and it really looks like a 3.5k-5k transformer gives better power output with lower distortion, especially sitting at a quiescent point around 80mA at 400V. I have noticed in these forums that you typically advocate for something lower, more like 2k. What is pushing you in this direction?

A good example is attached (not my work, swiped from here).

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GU50 350v100ma.jpg (77.6 KB, 232 views)
Old 27th September 2012, 05:14 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I don't remember when I pushed toward 2k. Probably 2k5 for 300V B+ and 45W dissipation Anode+G2?

Edit: also if you add positive voltage on G2 curves shift left. I used +12V that I had from filament rectifier.
Attached Images
File Type: gif gu-50_penintriod_g3.gif (21.1 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Wavebourn; 27th September 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!