preamp suitable for Dynaco st-70- OTHER than dynaco - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2008, 12:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default preamp suitable for Dynaco st-70- OTHER than dynaco

Can anyone advise a suitable OPTION to the matched preamps from Dynaco. Specifically for the ST-70 amp. Lots advise the use of the Dynaco units but these are getting hard to come by.
Old 28th March 2008, 01:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What are you using as the signal source(s)? If all you use is a CDP, a passive level control mounted CLOSE to the ST70 may be sufficient.

As long as you keep the wiring between the volume control and the amp very short and low capacitance, you are probably safe in using a 50 KOhm part. A stock ST-70 has a 470 KOhm resistor at its I/P.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

no reason to run the Dynaco PAS when there are plenty of other preamps out there.

Personally I find a stock PAS highly colored (in a pleasant way). You can dump plenty of money into one to bring it up reasonable performance levels, but at that point you may be better off just building something DIY. DIY preamps are some of the cheapest things to build out there (provided you don't go crazy!).
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Namatjira,

I agree with Eli, and I think if your CD player has a remote and a volume control would you need a preamp at all? Eli could probably answer that question better than I.

And here's an option if you aren't handy with building chassis. Buy a Dynaco PAT 4 or 5 off eBay. You can pick them up cheap. Then buy a set of PAS 3 boards and a power transformer and Voila! Tube preamp. I did just that and the man in Wisconsin who has it now loves it. See attached photos

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0257.JPG (755.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0258.JPG (694.9 KB, 71 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!