• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

replacing op-amps with thermionic valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello!

I'm in the middle of designing a preamplifier circuit on multisim to go in an stomp box for bass guitar. I have two OPA627AM op-amps for the peak/notch part of my circuit but I was hoping to replace them with thermionic valves. I have two 12AX7 valves that I've noticed have a pair of triodes inside. Can I use one of these valves to replace both of my op-amps?

If so tell me how! and, if not, do I need a different type of vlave to do the job? I was initially gonna keep the valves for a 'drive section of the pedal but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Any advice on perhaps using the valves as an intentional overdrive at a stage after the preamp section (and keeping the op-amps in the preamp stage as they're of rather high quality anyway) would be appreciated too!

Thanks! :)

Jenks.

Attachments

• graphic eq (better op amps).gif
    graphic eq (better op amps).gif
    11 KB · Views: 234
jenks said:
I'm in the middle of designing a preamplifier circuit on multisim to go in an stomp box for bass guitar. I have two OPA627AM op-amps for the peak/notch part of my circuit but I was hoping to replace them with thermionic valves. I have two 12AX7 valves that I've noticed have a pair of triodes inside. Can I use one of these valves to replace both of my op-amps?

Sure, it's possible, but why would you want to?

U1 is just a simple unity gain buffer. A cathode follower could replace it easily enough. As for U2, you treat the grid as the (-) inverting input, and the cathode as the (+) non-inverting input. All these op-amp based filters were originated back in the 1940s with VT implementations in mind. Of course, the 12AX7 won't have the open loop gain of the op-amp, and so will probably require component tweaking in order to get similar performance.

That schemo looks perfectly serviceable. If it's VT-type distortion you're after, an over driven VT stage after that will do it.

bass preamp & OD

Hi Miles!

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I've had a little read and it definitely makes a lot more sense to include my 12AX7's in a seperate overdrive stage, after the tone shaping controls.

I've been looking at a few circuits this morning (which I've attached) I'm intending on using this pedal as my overdriven sound, as i have the MXR blowtorch for all-out distortion/fuzz so I was thinking to try using the 'soft-clipping' circuit. I'd love to try the MXR one too but I've no idea how it manipulates the signal so I'm tempted to leave it alone until I'm a bit more experienced on this topic!

Any advice on how to best utilise the valves I have for achieving a rich & warm tube overdrive sound in my pedal will be greatly appreciated!

thanks again.

Jenks.

Attachments

• a_mxrdist(mxr_od).gif
    a_mxrdist(mxr_od).gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.