Tubelab Simple Se Trannie Shopping List-a Newbie Seeks Info - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2008, 08:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tubelab Simple Se Trannie Shopping List-a Newbie Seeks Info

any advice for a shopping list for a Power transformer ( and other goodies) for Tubelab's Simple SE amp?
i have a pair of Dynaco ST-70 tube amp A470 transformers, a swag of goodies for the PCB/kit and am looking for info as to what else i should be looking for by way of power , chokes , controls etc. to finish out the kit. thanks
Old 26th March 2008, 01:09 PM   #2
nkg is offline nkg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Where about in Australia do you live I'm in Perth I can recommend Universal Transformers in Fremantle if you want power transformers I get mine custom made from them and they are compareable in price with Hammond tranies but I get mine made with 240,245,250 volt primaries lt allows you to get closer to correct voltages for the heaters,they also do chokes I can also recommend Micheal Percy and Sonicraft for components both very helpful and with our dollar being strong is a good time to buy Farnell are also good to deal with.
Nigel
Old 26th March 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

One Electron transformers might be a good alternative also.

http://www.one-electron.com/Trans/BFT1B_11.pdf
Old 26th March 2008, 01:36 PM   #4
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

nkg,

Do you have any indication of price for us and perhaps a photo or two? I am interested in a power transformer for a 6L6 amp on the back burner. Thinking of doing monoblocks due to power transformer limitations, but may consider a stereo amp if I can source a suitable transformer.

For Namatjira,

I have used Edcor output transformers for the last three of my projects, and have planned to use them for the next two that have just started. My first project, a SimpleSE uses the XSE15-8-5K. As I am using a sub for the low frequencies, I have been very happy. Perhaps you might like to check out the new guitar range. The GXSE-15-8-5K looks like it might be good. They will ship with USPS flat rate $37 box to, so you might want to order a few. I managed to get two XSE-15-8-5K and two CXPP-25-4-7.6K in a box, so you might even fit 6 of the smaller XSE series in a box.

Cheers,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!