• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amazon Does DIY Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyone can pretty much sell anything through an Amazon storefront as long as its legal.. :D

Not new, but I don't ever buy transformers and tubes through Amazon, I'm not totally happy with them right now. (Too many errors on recent cd/sacd orders, both Amazon itself and some of its sellers, and then in addition holding my money for weeks when refunds are due because of an error they've made.)

I noted that Amazon itself is not selling these components when I checked some of these out. (The ones I checked anyway, and I didn't check every single one.)

They do sell a lot of consumer electronics and computer parts and hardware directly. (I've bought cases and drives from them directly - sometimes they have the best price overall.)

kevinkr-

I noted that Amazon itself is not selling these components when I checked some of these out. (The ones I checked anyway, and I didn't check every single one.)

True..they seem to have partnered up with several vendors.

sorenj07-

Plus their prices are not the bet I've seen.

Well...I haven't done many comparisons..but... they have Sovtek 2A3 Platinum matched pairs through Vacuum Tube Valley for $49.95. Best price I've seen so far.

I don'y know if it's a good thing or not that Amazon has decided it's worth their while to get into DIY parts, but I find it interesting.

Casey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
valveitude said:
kevinkr-

True..they seem to have partnered up with several vendors.

sorenj07-

Well...I haven't done many comparisons..but... they have Sovtek 2A3 Platinum matched pairs through Vacuum Tube Valley for $49.95. Best price I've seen so far.

I don'y know if it's a good thing or not that Amazon has decided it's worth their while to get into DIY parts, but I find it interesting.

Casey

I wouldn't say that Amazon made any deliberate decision to be in this or most other markets Amazon vendors operate in. As long as the item is legal and is not in a sales area (like used cars?) that Amazon considers too risky, there will be vendors selling to that market in the Amazon marketplace. There is little/no cost to Amazon to allow vendors to sell these parts, and any that generate significant customer complaints and/or direct expense to Amazon will be quickly booted.. Small businesses that can't afford/don't want the hassles of their own commercial websites and want to drive volume will often choose this or an eBay storefront because of the relatively high traffic potential.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.