Shielded wire - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2008, 01:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shielded wire

I was wondering where I could find single conductor shielded wire similar to what was used in vintage integrated amps like the fisher x100. Upon replacing the volume control, I cut one of the shielded signal cables too short, and now am looking for something to replace it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th March 2008, 09:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

^^^^

I just use RF coax where I need to E-shield a lead. Rat Shack used to sell something called "speaker wire" that also included a shield. It wasn't arranged so neatly as RF coax, nor was the inner conductor as substantial. That, too, will work in audio circuits.
Old 20th March 2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought a spool of single conductor shielded wire at my local Radio Shack. 100 feet so it should last me a while.
Old 20th March 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Here's one possibility - Belden 1855A, available in one-foot increments from Markertek at 33 cents per foot. The specification of the cable is in this PDF file
Old 21st March 2008, 12:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Years ago I bought a whack of Belden 89259 for diy interconnect. I've since found lots of other uses for it. Looks pretty similar to the 1855A but has a teflon jacket so it will withstand heat better. At the time you could only get it in bulk. That's probably changed...
Old 21st March 2008, 01:56 AM   #6
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

I usually buy an RCA cable then hack the connectors off of it.
Old 21st March 2008, 04:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guys! I went into my local radio shack yesterday, and was surprised to see that they have actually expanded their parts section. They added two more cabinets of components, two racks of tools, and a larger selection of wire. I was able to find some two conductor 24 gauge shielded in wall audio cable. I twisted the two signal wires together and it works perfectly in my Fisher's volume control circuit!
Old 21st March 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
RM529 is offline RM529  United States
diyAudio Member

If you need a quick and easy fix that is cheap, Jeb-D had the ideal answer. And, you won't have to buy a spool of cable. Although some places still sell by the foot.

Hide this!Advertise here!