What would most of you do? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2008, 11:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What would most of you do?

I have the opportunity to buy NOS ex military transformers and chokes.. real nice parmekos etc
BUT
they probably have pcb oil in them
SO
WHat to do.
My understanding is that pcbs in a fire a toxic but are they toxic if they dont catch fire.. given the toxic chemicals given off in a house fire would it matter anyway?
Thaey are a pretty good price but I need some advice
Thanks
Old 18th March 2008, 12:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What size are these transformers? Most small transformers, as used in tube amps, do not have any oil in them. About the only component that does would be capacitors.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Differing values

Hi
There are 300-0300 ones at 100mA
I shook someof them and they dont "slush"
when you do.
The 5mH chokes do slush though so i guess they have oil in them
Old 18th March 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As long as they remain sealed I would not worry too much about it. Sounds like a good deal.. And in terms of house fires - yes there are lots of other toxic materials that are probably a concern.
Old 18th March 2008, 04:27 PM   #5
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

I would grab them in a heart beat.

The only whay pcb's will effect you is if ingested. Regardless of what anyone tells you this is the only way they can give you cancer.

Toxic gases from burning are from oxygen starved inceneration only. But this wouldn't really be a concern for you unless you planned on making a really hot amp LOL.
PERIOD END OF STORE

Nick
Old 18th March 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar
The only whay pcb's will effect you is if ingested. Regardless of what anyone tells you this is the only way they can give you cancer.
And where is your medical degree from? http://www.foxriverwatch.com/skin_cancer_pcbs.html

Me, I wouldn't touch them. In the grand scheme of things, transformers and chokes are a) cheap, and b) more useful if wound to your specifications or at least ordered for what you need. A pile of assorted random transformers and chokes does not a good amplifier make.
Old 18th March 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

I have worked with many people in the power industry and they all know the origins of cancer and pcb's.

Also talk to the thousands of poeple who worked with it and ask them.......

You ask me where is my medical degree and I tell you the site where you are finding your data is a joke....

Come back with aome real data from a reputable source and then we can talk.

Try finding a paper from the Mayo clinic on the subject Hmmmmmmmmm.

Nick
Old 18th March 2008, 07:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have worked with many people in the power industry and they all know the origins of cancer and pcb's.
I've worked in the power industry for about 15 years, and used to be involved with pcb disposal services. As a general rule, contact with the skin is a non-issue. Ingestion is the larger concern. It has to be absorbed into the body's fat cells, where it remains for a looooong time. Granted, I wouldn't rub askarel into an open wound, but then again, if I do, maybe I deserve cancer.

Keep in mind these insulating fluids contain PCB's. They are a synthetic suspension with other base fluids. The study referred to may just be the result of contact with these base fluids, not specifically the PCB's. Don't know.

Quote:
the site where you are finding your data is a joke....
Always a good thing to check our sources. I suspect you may be right. If it's one thing the internet is good for, it's letting any Tom Dick or Harry to post what he will as fact. Haven't I just done that ???
Old 18th March 2008, 07:11 PM   #9
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy them before they are gone! They don't give off a cancer causing vapor while they are in use for crying out loud. If you notice a leak use rubber gloves when you change out the transformer. Other than that you don't have much to worry about. I am telling you this as a professional industrial electrician of 27 years. You have nothing to worry about.
Old 18th March 2008, 07:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

My grampa washed his hands in PCB oil while working at Ontario Hydro for the good part of 20 years before they changed to mineral oil. He was a painter and said it took dry paint off his hands better than anything else. He died of pneumonia last year at the age of 94.

Based on this i would say the PCBs are relatively harmless.

Hide this!Advertise here!