• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

S3E Vacuum Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, a friend of mine recently gave me an S3E vacuum tube, it is made by RCA and uses an octal socket with all 8 connections being made. It has heaters and that's about all I can gather from it. I'll post a picture of it soon. I can't find any data anywhere on the internet on this S3E tube which surprises me. Can anyone enlighten me on what the function of this S3E tube is?

I don't know what the S3E is about, but from the 1st picture it is obvious that it is a gas filled thyratron. Notice the small glass tube with an electrode inside entering the plate assembly from the bottom. This is the trigger electrode. Dead give away. Probably is argon filled, glows purple when fired. Not directly useful for audio, but likely could be used for a delayed HV B+ turn on relay. It's a HV switch or SCR like device. Try tracing the pinout if possible, then can look it up in the RCA tube base section.

Don

hmm, thank you for your replies. Yes I think it's definitely a 2050 because I can see "20" on the bulb in the most faded slightly brown lettering possible, when I put it up to the light in the right way. I think it could be a 2051 as well.

I found a rather interesting article about this tube which discusses it's use in sampling but for encrypted telephony.

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/recording/sigsaly.html

If it glows purple then maybe I could incorporate it into the 807 amplifier I'm building maybe as a voltage regulator or something.
perhaps to regulate the voltage for the 6AU6 driver stages in my amp.

If it glows purple then maybe I could incorporate it into the 807 amplifier I'm building maybe as a voltage regulator or something.
perhaps to regulate the voltage for the 6AU6 driver stages in my amp.

Whats the circuit.
I'm building a version of the Tabor circuit with those valves - i would be interested in how your using yours. Got to the build stage with mine - should be about a week before I have any results.

Shoog

Hmm well from research I did it seems it's a mercury tube and it glows blue, and I don't think I'm really too competent in designing a circuit for it or even if I'll get much benefit out of it. My amplifier is essentially done and it's a bit too much of a hassle to incorporate this into it. I've never worked with tube regulation for power supplies. Hopefully I'll have my new amp fired up in a day or two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.