• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke phase spliter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MQracing said:

The 'compact' version of Yeo's that you tried--- how did you tie down the cathodes? which output tubes did you use?

Your the first person I've heard who has tried both ways. And I find it encouraging that you liked the results of each approach.

Next week I'm stacking some remaining Z-565 coils that I have--- pp guys for EL84's with UL taps--- I'm going to have to try the compact myself after admiring it for such a long time on paper.

Did you try Yeo's circuit with the EL-84 triode as the voltage amp?
If so--- was it quiet enough? Other feedback I've gotten from people is that the EL-84 T is noisy when used as a small signal
driver tube.

In terms of simplicity--- the compact is hard to beat. And if your on a budget at all it would seemingly also recommend itself highly.

msl

I used the 832A tube with a common cathode for both tetrode on each envelope when I tried both the compact circuit and a center tapped choke phase inversion.

I have not tried Yeo's circuit using the EL84 as voltage amp.

But I might do a DC coupled EL84 into a 2a3 as done by Torsten Eisenberg. I am just weighing my options, since I need a 455-0-455 power transformer which is quite expensive.

I am also trying the compact circuit on an EL34, triode strapped, cathode biased PP amp (I am doing an SE EL34/KT88 for a friend based on Mikael Abdellah's circuit and before wiring it as an SE, I will try wiring it as PP using the compact circuit and see what happens).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.