diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Extry, Extry, Blind Squirrel Finds Nut -sequence (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/119111-extry-extry-blind-squirrel-finds-nut-sequence.html)

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:43 AM

Extry, Extry, Blind Squirrel Finds Nut -sequence

2 Attachment(s)
...film at 11.

Here is proof that even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. I had made it known on the freecycle boards that I was always interested in old audio equipment. I was contacted by a young lady that wanted to get rid of a record player console. So Nan and I had lunch out after church today and then stopped by for a look see.

It didn't look like all that much and they knew nothing about it except that they had paid $75 for it a few months ago at an antique shop down the road. They said that it worked but had recently developed a "crackle" in one speaker. We turned it on and listened to it for a minute or two on the radio setting. It actually sounded pretty decent with no hint of the tinniness one often hears from such units. In fact it sounded a little bit light on the top end. I also noted no crackling.

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Even though it was probably solid state, I figured that since it was free I might as well take it as I could always use the speakers and switches etc as salvage so we loaded it up and headed home.

Now I should have had a clue that something was afoot when he turned it on and we didn't get sound right away. However, he was fiddling with the tuner at the time so we may not have been on a station. When we finished it was tuned to a station that I knew that we could get at home.

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
When we got home I took it into the garage and plugged it in. Again it didn't come on right away. Hmmm... It did come to life in a minute or so and so I left it run while I got Nan out of the car. After a few minutes I started to hear some crackling so I turned it off. It faded away gradually. Hmmm... again. Now I am starting to get suspicious.

So I began removing the back cover. I saw a glint of something. I quickened the pace and got the top and side screws out pulling the back gently out when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a pair of small bottles and a big silver can cap. And what is this? Too many transformers for a cheap old solid state console.

Psychobiker 10th March 2008 12:49 AM

That's a diddly little amp if I ever saw one! Should clean up a cracker

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It turns out I just scored a nice old Vacuum State console with SE outputs. Sweet. Now I just need to confirm that it is not collectible before proceeding. Model number is VFR19M Serial number appears to be 1460891-1-1

Output tubes are 6BQ5.

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The preamp/tuner section lists...

AF Amp 12AX7A

FM Limiter 6AU6A

2nd FM IF Amp and AM Det 6BA6

1st AM & FM IF Amp 6BA6

AM RF Amp 6BA6

AM Conv 6BE6

FM RF Amp and Conv 6C3

mashaffer 10th March 2008 12:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I could read the stampings on one of the OTs and it read
962628-11
1-606-4-07

The can cap is 80, 40, 10, 150

I didn't hear much in the way of highs so the tweeters or caps may be blown. I have not pulled anything yet to measure speaker imp.

Psychobiker 10th March 2008 12:56 AM

I may be preaching to the converted, but find a schematic and crossreference values original vs measured?

Do the usual, check connections etc. Does your Multimeter have capacitance readout?

mashaffer 10th March 2008 01:00 AM

Will be searching but I will trace by hand if needed. Recapping is a given of course. One correction that last tube should be 6C9 not 6C3.

mike

Psychobiker 10th March 2008 01:02 AM

Sounds like duff connection/cap somewhere if it's crackling. Broken down electrolyte produces such noise