• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mercury vapor rectifier tube question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I got 2 nos sylvania 872a's which as far as I can tell have never been fired up. Well I put a transformer on the filament to heat them up to make sure all is well and something weird happend.

When the plate got hot it had this scale that came off of it on the inside. It looks like burned paper honestly but it half way fell off the anode and it laying on the filament.

Has anyone ever incountered this phenomenon and will it effect the tubes functionality?

Thanks,

Nick

Do NOT put high voltage on that tube! This is a very common occurrence with old mercury rectifier tubes like the 872 and 866A as well. I've seen this many times and it is a function of old age where the coating flakes off and gets between the elements. If you try and use it, it will arc and cause damage. Dispose of it safely and properly. I word to the wise should be sufficient.

edit: Actually, you were lucky that you heated it up and saw that. I could tell stories about what has happened when they arced over.

Victor

Don't worry I wouldn't sell it Victor. If it arcs at all I will get rid of it. But only if I can get the scale out of the business area so to say.

But you know debarnacle was a very common pratices for curing problens in tubes. But I do relise this could introduce gas into the tube.

I figured a few short pulses at 10kv but extremely low current should do the trick. It's not like the tube could gernade from a half second pulse of high voltage at a few microamps.

Nick

Just another semi wise word.
Don't apply high voltage to it without a dummy load.
Mercury rectifiers WILL flash over inside if o/c.
And, please shield your eyes from it, most generate a high degree of nasty ultra violet light that looks nice, but will damage your eyes.

itsmejto said:

And, please shield your eyes from it, most generate a high degree of nasty ultra violet light that looks nice, but will damage your eyes.

OH! I do love to stare at my 866A. Girls too. That's one very reason I use them. I will be blind for the UVs in my eyes and deaf for too many decibels in my ears, will I?

Gianluca

itsmejto said:

Actually the short wave UV (the most dangerous kind) is stopped by the glass. Most of what you see is visible light with perhaps a little long wave UV

The only advantage to using mercury vapor rectifiers is a lower voltage drop with higher current capacity, plus a little noise from the gas. :eek:

Victor

I have used 866A's in power supplies and have not had any issues. The precautions concerning these tubes must be adhered to, but this is true of any device... a little common sense goes a long way.

I have a Taylor 866A that is beginning to "flake inside", but what do you expect after 60 years? I'll turn it into a desk monument with a piece of wood and urethane.

The only advantage to using mercury vapor rectifiers is a lower voltage drop with higher current capacity, plus a little noise from the gas. :eek:

Victor

I like them because they sound better than the standard rectifier tubes that I have used. They need to be warmed up for at least a minute or so before B+ is applied, but this can be done thru a relay or manually. I guess I am a bit of a dare devil. I can not see mine as they are in a cage, but that is not why I like them. I like 866A's tubes because of ther sound :)

I don't think quicksilver rects are worth the hassle.

If you need low voltage drop at un-insane voltages, dampers. If higher voltages, xenon rects.

Of course they don't look as badass. But you don't have to worry about ambient temp, warmup time, dropping the tube, etc etc

I don't think quicksilver rects are worth the hassle.

But you don't have to worry about ambient temp, warmup time, dropping the tube, etc etc

Or the RF hash and noisy switching. I've always wondered if the inherent noise of mercury rectifiers was one of the attractions- some poor designs can benefit from a little dither, even if unintentional.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.