• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Impressions of the Ella, a pp EL34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just fired it up and been listening for an hour. I've just reset the bias because it has drifted a bit.
Speakers are FE207E with FT17H super tweets.
This amp is the level 3 from DIY HIFI supply, mainly chosen for the better quality valve sockets. It has the standard valve-art tubes.
Piano is startlingly real, a few times it has made me jump and look. Female vocals have something about them, softly sung passages are soft and sharp, A stupid description but the best I can do is like being touched a feather from the freezer.
I find I need MUCH lower volume than I used to use to hear all of the details. Less disturbing to the family.
When I adjust the volume (rarely) the stepped attenuator sounds like a coffee grinder with rocks in it. I don't care - remote control on a stepped attenuator is luxury. The remote is neat, made with a wooden housing.
The blue power LED has to go, but that is just personal taste.

Some of my music I used to find excessively sibilant sounds very clean with this amp. Treble is not muted, it's just clean. I'm going to spend a few days listening to some old favourites.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.