Newbie Aikido power supply question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2008, 03:51 AM   #1
JackM11 is offline JackM11  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Aikido power supply question

Anyone has a power supply recommendation and parts list for the Aikido 9 pin stereo preamp kit(6CG7/6DJ8)?
Or, can I use a power supply kit like this one from Welborne Lab?
http://www.welbornelabs.com/ps3.htm

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Jack,

the psu kit you linked is a regulated one that you probably won't need since the Aikido not necessarily requires a regulated psu.
Also Ron Welborne doesn't seem to be much fun to deal with lately...(see thread about that here).

I'd go with a simple CLC as described in Broskie's papers...get PSUD2 (freeware), plug in your values, et voila!
Also a great learning experience!

Hope this helps...
Old 4th March 2008, 07:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The PW-01AS from Tube Audio Kits is what I am considering for Aikido Octal as it has the recommended 12.6 DC voltage for the heaters.

http://www.tubeaudiokits.com/Modules/modules-init.htm

Bill
Old 4th March 2008, 09:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've been wondering the same thing. I know that the answer to this question is left up to the user, since the Aikido setup allows so many different tube configurations.. but I haven't seen a really complete explanation of how to figure out which B+ values are suitable for whichever tubes you end up using.

For instance, one of the complete kits (tubes and all) on the GlassWare Yahoo store comes with four 6CG7s - the PS is left up to you, but newbs like me with more transformers than knowledge don't know how to come up with that.

I've got power iron, I've got caps, I've got resistors and rectifiers, but I'm fresh out of clues.

Any hints?
Old 4th March 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah,
I bought the Octal complete kit and still don't have a clue what to do about the power supplies for heaters/B+ .
Old 7th March 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
JackM11 is offline JackM11  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies. Buying the Aikido board was the easy part but figuring out the power supply needs help and I can see I am not alone on this one.
Any suggestions on the transformer? and the current rating?

Thanks
Old 8th March 2008, 12:43 AM   #7
wendell is offline wendell  United States
diyAudio Member

i'm in the same boat, I'm building a dual mono octal aikido.

I actually purchased the Bas PSU boards that was on sale by someone on the marketplace. He might actually have a few more available. It is a CLC or CRC config and there is actually component values laid out for it.

But still contemplating on which route to take, as you folks have said there is a lot of talk of the aikido but nothing definite as far as which route is best. I do understand that it is purely subjective to builder wants, needs and budget.

And one thing I've read is that the aikido's topology isn't too picky and it will still perform whether you use the best parts or not
Old 8th March 2008, 03:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

That's my hope. I've got a transformer around that can be pressed into service (275-0-275? I think? Heaters and rectifier windings, too), and some other interesting bits; I might have to buy an appropriate choke, though.

I should be OK with the PS topology, but figuring out which value is most appropriate for B+ is still sort of a big hazy area for me.
Old 8th March 2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

koolatron (and Jack and Cambe),

I also was a beginner with absolutely no prior education in electronics when I decided to tackle my first amplifier project. Designing a psu then was almost like a black art to me...
Now I still consider myself a noob but have finished two working (and good sounding headphone amplifiers) and am about to finish an Aikido headphone amp using the 6CG7 and 6H30.

When you don't feel safe and skilled enough to build a psu yourself I would have it built...when you proceed with care and even more care and you have done your share of reading and gathering information it can be done. There is lots of info on the internet and the best thing for starters is the existence of PSUD2...it allows you to play and simulate dozens of different psu's in day.
Also using the search function here on diyaudio will turn up a few threads with plenty of information.
Studying Broskie's manual (Aikido_9-pin_Mono_Rev-A_PCB.pdf or the octal equivalent) should guide you what voltages to choose...10% higher or lower will be no big problem and won't kill anything.
The 275-0-275 can probably be used for the versions requiring 250 or 300V B+.

Good luck!
Old 12th March 2008, 05:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I received my Aikido kit yesterday, and I'm going through figuring out what it is that I need to in total.

I've been playing around with PSUD 2 to figure out what bits I need to put where to create a workable 300V B+, but I'm stimeyed. I don't know what kind of load the 6CG7 realistically represents. If given the appropriate hints, I could probably figure it out myself, but a ballpark figure would be just absolutely magical.

Hide this!Advertise here!