Aikido hum - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido hum

Hi,

first of all, yes I have searched the forum, but didnt find the same symptoms I have.

I have built my first stereo Aikido preamp with 4xECC88.
My PS is SS rectifier then split for each channel: 47uF, 120 Ohm, 440uF to preamp.

According to Duncan PS Designer I should have audible ripple, which I have when I turn the volume on poweramp up high. Turning the volume on Aikido causes no change in hum. BUT when I disconnect the 100nF cap coming from B+ and going to the tube output stage grid to cancel the PS noise/hum I get LESS hum. Why is that? I thought the Aikido should remove any hum/noise coming from PS supply.

I aim waiting for my chokes to arrive so I can replace the 120 Ohm power resistor with them. Then I will have NO ripple coming from PS supply, so disconnecting the 100nF is not problem.

Is 100nF required for the Aikido sound? Or it is just there for the hum canceling, which doesnt work for me?

Thank you.
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:29 PM   #2
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure I am looking at the same 100nF cap you referred to.
In my Aikido diagram, I suspect C6 is the one. It looks like

B+ ----- C6 ------- R15 ------ Grids of both channels ---- R16 --- Ground

If so and you indeed removed C6, then you literally grounded the grids which is no longer the intend of Aikido topology.

Keep in mind, this topology can help canelling the power supply noise, but it doesn't mean eliminating any kind of noise. For example, if R15 and R16 are not closely matched per John's formula, then the cancellation won't work as well.
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes it is the C6 cap. I should have R15 87K, but I have there 91K. I will put there 10k pot to adjust the right value.

You write (and also in the schematics of stere version) is that BOTH channels share the same PS canceling circuit - C6, R15, R16. BUT I have these seperate for each channel. Is it wrong? If so, how should I do it, when I have this PS supply: http://satanda.aspweb.cz/schem/aikido_psu.png

Should I just take the B+ from one channel from 47uF then to C6, R15 and R16 to both grids?

Thank you.
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, this is the same cap we talked about, I just happened to have the stereo diagram with me. That's why I used the stereo description. In your case, you use the B+ from the 47uF of each channel. Don't share them.
You didn't say what R16 value you had. I guess it is 100K. If so, 91K might be a little too high for R15. In this case, you want to add the 10k pot to the R16. Roughly, you are looking at the R15:R16 ratio of 87K:100K +/- 500 on the R15 side. Use the pot to tune to the lowest hum.
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, so just to clarify. I will have twice R15, R16 and C6 on its own channel coming from B+ on dedicated channel, right?

Yes I have R16 100k.

Last question, why is the hum louder when the C6 cap is disconnected?

Thank you.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, so just to clarify. I will have twice R15, R16 and C6 on its own channel coming from B+ on dedicated channel, right?
Yup, yup.

Quote:
Last question, why is the hum louder when the C6 cap is disconnected?
In your first post, you said
when I disconnect the 100nF cap coming from B+ and going to the tube output stage grid to cancel the PS noise/hum I get LESS hum
so with or without the cap has louder hum? I will expect noisier if C6 is missing because 1/2 is the PS noise is injected into the output upper triode's grid, and the other half goes to the lower triode's grid via the R15/R16 voltage divider. When C6 is removed, you only have the 1/2 PS noise from the upper. Therefore, noisier because no cancellation. If your experience is the other way around, I dunno why would that be.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry my mistake. I meant when there IS cap the hum is LOUDER.

Maybe I have found the mistake...I dont know right now, because I am at work now, so I do not have here my preamp, but I possible forgot totaly R12 (1M) resistor. Will check that tomorrow and will report back.
Old 4th March 2008, 06:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I checked the circuit and everything is ok.
I installed the 100k trimpot instead of R15 and when turning with it the hum is the same, there is just a LITTLE change when the pot is fully clockwise and anticlockwise.

I dont know now what to do, or how to discover whats wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is 4mV of ripple too much?
Old 4th March 2008, 01:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Are you building this on a PCB or point to point?

If its the PCB, be aware that the star ground is already built into it.

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!