• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ebay Tube amp buy disaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone explain this ? the chassis and transformers are not bent at all, note the blood on the chunk of glass, right center under the white wire, it's not mine and the box was unopened by customs.

IMGDEAD]

darn it. the box had no damage to it? I'd guess the shipper put his foot through it.

Dunno about the blood though - you're sure its blood?

I'd write the people you bought it from. Unfortunately, lots of things off Ebay arrive in worse condition than expected, though this is pretty extreme. After a number of disappointments, I've become very picky when dealing with Ebay. Ebay really lacks in the accountability department...

.... and ask the seller to check if any of his employees have cut hands? ;)

Paypal should refund you if the seller doesn't. Product not as described.

Maybe you could come to an agreement with the seller that you pay for new tubes and he re-imburse you if the amp is working ...... and perhaps to have someone competent to check it for electrical safety.

I'll explain it. It's visual proof why you should NEVER ship with tubes in place. The large power tubes bounced out of their sockets and smashed the small signal tubes. Look at the pins on the miniatures - they are all bent up from the impact of the large power tubes smashing into them. Of course, if they hadn't already, eventually the tubes smashed themselves to bits.

It doesn't take any sharp blows such as a drop or ??. Over a period of time tubes will vibrate out of the sockets, and the larger/heavier tubes pop out first. That's what happened here...

If it is blood

Hey
Bummer re the broken tubes... If that is blood be careful.. use gloves and do i need to state the obvious and say "dont cut yourself". Other than cerebo spinal fluid, blood is dangerous and can be infective so once all the glass is removed give it a wipe down with some alcohol. I would use bleach (diluted) but it can tarnish metals.
Call me paranoid but in my line of work Blood is always regarded as dangerous.
Good luck with the amp.
Make sure you have a look underneath and inspect for damage insode the amp
Nick

AUDIOROMY FU29 (829B) tube amp from china

I managed to find some tubes and checked it out for any other obvious damage. Fired it up for a short white and it works fine, though there is glass rash on every surface now. I didn't run it for very long, but was impressed with it's performance. I need bias data from the manufacturer with compensation for the tubes and "glass rash" but as it only cost $119.00 (US) plus $135.00 shipping and 57.00 insurance, overpriced insurance but I'm glad I took it. I'm still amazed that it was so badly damaged though, even if the output tubes did bounce out easily, the driver tubes were in ceramic bases and a bear to plug in new ones. It must have been bouncing for hours to get it this bad. I'm not 100% sure it's blood as I dumped all the crap into the trash after taking the photos, but it sure looks like blood, and its on the broken edge of the glass too so it had to get there after it was broken.. This was a few days ago and the ebay seller hasn't replied to me about it yet. Ebay are helping a little, but as it's over the 60 day period to lodge a complaint against the seller I'm hoping paypal will step in if needed. I'm sure the seller will correct the problem though. (eventually) I'ts not a work of art underneath, stragley wiring with tie-wraps here and there, nice power board, no fuses at all, it's well grounded though. B+ is over 500vdc, if I knew what's an acceptable bias current I'd fire it up for longer. It uses some off the wall driver tubes from Russia similar to ecc82/3 but with 12v heaters. I'll say again, I was impressed with it's 2 minute test drive, clean, sharp and mucho bass. Anyone have a schematic for this one yet ?

Here's a link to the seller's page on ebay and what it should look like too. There are several sellers selling from $21.00 with no reserve, maybe there the ones they shipped to me !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOROMY-FU29-...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Listen to yer Gooroo McShane.  Back in the early daze, I shipped a Mœbius with the tubes (4 6AQ5s) in the sockets.  They're little, what could happen?  The client posted me back when he unwrapped, 'The tubes were rattling around in there (if you've seen a Mœbie, the tubes are in the space in the middle, in between the power supply side and the audio circuit side); I plugged them in, and everything works okay.'  Good thing I wrapped foam sheet around them, or theyd've bruised up the internal space there to my warranty distress.

Anything you ship, Romy, must be packed to survive multiple six foot (2M) drops.

The Blud, I dunno.  Jim?

Poinz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.