• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6336 as a Rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not ideal situation....

But if you do try it, Tie G1 to the cathode or it will self destruct by excess current/volts through G1!

connecting G1 to cathode will make it electrically 'invisible' to the valve....

Has the 6336 got separate cathodes per section...?--Not familiar with it....

As to current, volts drop etc, who knows!

BTW, where in Wales are you...?

I'm in Swansea....

You can make a mediocre rectifier that way, yes. It will take 30 watts of heater power, timer circuitry to prevent application of power until the heaters are completely warm, and will give you a max output current of 300mA or so per section. The drop will be higher than a GZ34; at 100mA, the drop will be about double. The max voltage will be considerably lower.

Seems a waste of a perfectly good regulator tube. A cheap GZ34 will do a much better job.

pls dont try 6336 as rectifier,,,,6336 is a nice tube for output stage ..SE ..PP ,,or parafeed

I second that. The 6336A works great in SE output stages. Just think of it as three 6AS7's in parallel. I have one running in a cathode follower output stage that sounds great. Power is about 10 WPC with distortion at 0.5%.

Attachments

• 6336a_b-3.jpg
    6336a_b-3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 660
Just curious: could you post or pm the schematic of your 6336A -SE? Could not find it on your site.

The amplifier was one of my augmented cathode follower experiments. The entire thread can be found here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...d=114021&highlight=augmented+cathode+follower

The amp works very good, but I still view it as an experiment, one of many, with many more to come. I have included the Eagle schematic file, but some component values are missing. The input and driver tube is a 6EM7. The dual triode feedback tube is a 12AX7 and the output tube can be a 6AS7, 5998, 7236 or 6336A. I would not advise anyone to copy it directly expecting it to work without some tweaking. I am now experimenting with a version using mosfet for the top output tube section. I also did a digitally controlled cathode follower for a microcontroller design contest. A vacuum tube amplifier actually won a prize in a sea of microprocessor controlled gizmos. The details, including schematics and source code can be found here (click entry to download the entire contest submission):

http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/MT2209.html

Attachments

• augmented_cf_sch_reduced_b-3.jpg
    augmented_cf_sch_reduced_b-3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 664
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.