The end of the 300b Dream? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2008, 11:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

another tube to throw into the conversation is the newer octal EL 509. Single ended use should get something close to 20w. I seem to remember a seeing a schematic on the forum for such an amp with screen drive and using a 6BM8 as an input and driver, I think.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:25 PM   #12
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Quote:
[i]The 6c33c sounds excellent and has a very unique tone. It's Probably my favorite tube. [/B]
That's precisely the reason why I wanted to build one. Its got a tone different from popular DHTs I've heard and owned.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:35 PM   #13
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Default Re: Where does one procure a decent 6c33c?

Quote:
Originally posted by duderduderini
Hi Jeb
Do you have a reliable source of these tubes?
How would you describe the sound of them.. I dont mind smooth sounding tubes with good bass at all
regards
Nick
I would be interested in a good source as well, as my local friends distributing the BAT said they got theirs expensive.

What I heard from the LAMM + Von Schweikert DB99 was astounding transparency, and palpability. Somewhat spooky really, but it has great tight bass, and high frequency extension to boot.

I was moved while listening to the CD "The Fountains of Bellagio, volume 3"
Old 27th February 2008, 01:04 AM   #14
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

I got a box of 10 for $80 on ebay a couple years ago from a guy named Anthony Welsch. There was 1 that was defective, but the rest were good and unused. Now they go for around $15 US each, which is more expensive than before, but way cheaper than a 300B.

Quote:
What I heard from the LAMM + Von Schweikert DB99 was astounding transparency, and palpability. Somewhat spooky really, but it has great tight bass, and high frequency extension to boot.
That nails it on the head. I didn't want to sound like a fuitcake and say that it has a haunting/eary/spooky tone to it. But, it really does. Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. It has the great midrange presence you would expect from an SE, but it has crystal clear highs. And the bass is definatly not lacking. It is tight by tube amp standards, but still slighly round in some configurations. Which I don't really consider a bad thing, it just gives it a touch of vintage tone.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:27 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have a reliable source of these tubes?
By directly from Russia at tube.ru or at gstube.com there are no reason to go through one or more distributors that just add to the price. The GStube price is now as low as 9 USD per tube and about 20USD in P&P for a set of 4 tubes . I have bought quite large quantities of 6C33C from this source and had no problems.

In order to avoid problems with the 6C33C follow some simple rules:

Switch on heater only and let it stay for that up to 2 hours

Switch on anode voltage and let the anode current go up to ~200mA and let is stay there for 2 hours.

Re adjust bias after about 10 hours operation.

Always switch on the heater at least 1 minute before anode voltage.

Following these rules you will have reliable tubes withe very long life, I have now used the same set of tubes in my own OTL amp for about 7 years without failure or loss of performance.

Regards Hans
Old 27th February 2008, 06:58 AM   #16
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Rather than go for more watts, how about using the watts you have at higher efficiency?

Get a pair of Goodmans or Tannoy 12" full rangers or bass units and build yourself some great sounding, high efficiency speakers.

8 Watts is quite a lot really.

Hide this!Advertise here!