• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CHOKY'S EC8010 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod on his home page gives a schematic for a single tube pre amp. (It is an EC8010 with a 5Y3 rectified PS (with PIO caps & 0A2).

Have any of you built this pre? If so I would like to hear your opinions of the build and also of the sound quality. Did you find any real snags?

Also, I would like recommendations for a phono stage which would work well with this pre amp.

I intend using it with Bent audio MC Tx, low power DH SETs and 96 db sensitivity three way horns (Impulse H2s).

MAny thanks,

Brian

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever you do , if you make anything similar , you'll never use resistive load for triode again ....... :clown:

in any case - good partner for that dreky preamp is certainly LR EQ phono stage ....... my dream in (at least ) last 5 years ........ but I simply have no time .....

:devilr: - you can send me all yours EC8010 and EC8020 , for quality check . I'll send you back only good ones

Very many thanks Choky! I am very annoyed with everything I have on my shelves

Thump thump Mosfet (perreaux) amp, ASR Collector pre (Like a strangled cat), et al. Precision Fidelity C7 (the best I have) a current amp which will not drive ANY crossover! If I do a single driver open baffle I will just have to have triodes, (A (UK) Emporium 211 stereo IS coming here very soon) And I have the Impulse H2 horns.

The LE PHONO is, I assume, the Steve Bench 'boat anchor' heavy metal phono?

I sent you some pics about 2 years ago of some bronze chassis cast chassis/box/heatsink amps...I should have sent you the schematics but my mails were returned as not delivered. Mail me (for the correct address) and I will send them to you.

I will let you know how i get on with the WOT project. Also if I find more EC8010 I will let you know!

Best luck,

Brian

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
brianco said:
Very many thanks Choky! I am very annoyed with everything I have on my shelves

Thump thump Mosfet (perreaux) amp, ASR Collector pre (Like a strangled cat), et al. Precision Fidelity C7 (the best I have) a current amp which will not drive ANY crossover! If I do a single driver open baffle I will just have to have triodes, (A (UK) Emporium 211 stereo IS coming here very soon) And I have the Impulse H2 horns.

The LE PHONO is, I assume, the Steve Bench 'boat anchor' heavy metal phono?

I sent you some pics about 2 years ago of some bronze chassis cast chassis/box/heatsink amps...I should have sent you the schematics but my mails were returned as not delivered. Mail me (for the correct address) and I will send them to you.

I will let you know how i get on with the WOT project. Also if I find more EC8010 I will let you know!

Best luck,

Brian

hehe

if you are not good enough :clown: for my resident >choky@neobee.net< addy , then you can always reach me via >sasica5@gmail.com<

Hi Zen,
this is quite an old thread, but I am interested in some EC8010 preamp design - but cannot find it on your home page.
Can you please post the schematic here?
Having some EC8010 (not the EC8020 unfortunatelly) lying around, I would be very much interested in building a EC8010 RIAA phono stage...
The one you describe - is it similar to the one Morgan Jones suggests in his book?
Thanks a lot!
Cheers
poli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.