• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Modelling PSU?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just wondering - is duncanamps' PSU designer odd?

I've tried to model with a 5V4 regulator, 7H choke and 15uF initial smoothing cap. Now, how do we proceed?

It won't let me put in a current tap with tank cap right after the inductor, even though thats how boozhound lists it to be, also will tell me that most things are an 'illegal combination!!'

Prolly an easy one, me having an off night!!

12SN7 driver and 6V6 outputs

L

Trying to model this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You cannot insert two similar elements (2 caps, 2 current taps, nor a R and a CT) in parallel.
Nor remove an element that provoque this situation.
For exemple, an LC filter between two loads (either R or CT) can't be removed unless you remove one of the loads before.
Sometimes, you cannot insert a CT after a cap, but only before it.
The same result, obviusly ;)

Yves.

Attachments

• psux.gif
    psux.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 451
Psychobiker said:

. . .
What's an acceptable ripple?

It depends on the amplifier design/topology :(

A push pull can be completly quiet with up to 20 V peak to peak on the plate supply.
An SE penthode may accept up to 5 V on the plate supply if the screen is "clean".
An SE triode may produce unnaceptable hum in hi efficiency speaker with just 1V p to p :mad:

What are you building ?

Yves.

Heh, that's a moot point - remains to be seen once I fire it up, couldn't find a datasheet anywhere for the life of me :S. Just tried a DCR of 50ohm, bugger all changed really. But again, as I say, will report on the 'real world' functioning of the thing. Radionics (who made it), discontinued the thing aaaages ago (<2000)

L

Right click on the current source load and select 'Edit'. The dialogue below appears (minus red comments) allowing the current load to switch values between 1 and 2 after 'seconds'. The reason you see no ripple is probably a very low 2ma load.

Attachments

• psud_ccs.gif
    psud_ccs.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 194
Cheers, RDF...it slipped my mind the first time that it was acutally a sequential load - but even the slightest deviaton from immediate full load sorts out any over current warnings.

CarlyBoy - You can watch the ripple get a little larger when the load kicks in...but it settles to a healthy <5mV in mine

L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.