Bad Grounding,or Cheap Pot?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bad Grounding,or Cheap Pot??

I have built a tube preamp,and I have an issue with low level hum,but this only occurs with the gain set half way,by the way I'm using a cheap Alpha Pot,once I turn the gain all the way up the hum completely goes away and it's quiet,and I'm using star grounding!!!! any suggestions?
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey, whaddya know, no psychics here today. Why don't you humour us and give us clues like your schematic and layout info?
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bad Grounding,or Cheap Pot??

Quote:
Originally posted by denny9167
I have built a tube preamp,and I have an issue with low level hum,but this only occurs with the gain set half way,by the way I'm using a cheap Alpha Pot,once I turn the gain all the way up the hum completely goes away and it's quiet,and I'm using star grounding!!!! any suggestions?

Have you grounded the pot housing (body) ?

Maybe the pot can have to high a value...
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:26 PM   #4
6f6 is offline 6f6  United States
diyAudio Member

Denny,
My guess is that you are using the stereo pot that Radio Shack sells. I guess this because I had a similar problem with equipment that I constructed using it. I remedied the problem by connecting a small (10pf or 20pf) capacitor from the feedback tap to ground. You could also connect the same small cap in paralell with the "top" and the "bottom" of the pot.
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I had this on my aikido pre until I sorted out the grounding (which I had done incorrectly). I had this effect on both an alps pot and then a stepped attenuator.

Fran
Old 27th February 2008, 12:34 AM   #6
6f6 is offline 6f6  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you get it fixed?

Hide this!Advertise here!