EDCOR Releases Line of Guitar OPT's - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2008, 06:07 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MQracing

check out www.allessandro-products.com

darn typo.... url should bee

http://www.alessandro-products.com/amps.html
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I've found that some guitar transformers, namely from Shumacher (Tubelab knows what I speak about) sound really nice with acoustic including 12 string guitars, and with human voices. However, I did not try new Edcor transformers, but I am going to!
Old 14th March 2008, 04:25 PM   #23
kvk is offline kvk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Oh please some one try a gxse15-8-5k and report back

I'm looking for a first tube project and I've been browsing a bunch of threads about SE amps, like the SimpleSE. I'm really looking for a few hundred $ project, not a $600 project. The killer for me is the cost of iron.

The gxse15-8-5k specs add almost an octave over the XSE for $10 more. I would think that's a killer price point if they work for HiFi

So, can someone (tubelab?) please get a pair of these and plug them into a SimpleSE or similiar amp, take some specs and tell us how they sounds?

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/tra...se15-8-5k.html
Old 14th March 2008, 05:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The gxse15-8-5k specs add almost an octave over the XSE for $10 more. I would think that's a killer price point if they work for HiFi
So, can someone (tubelab?) please get a pair of these and plug them into a SimpleSE or similiar amp, take some specs and tell us how they sounds?
The original XSE15-8-5K measured 10Hz to 41KHz (3db) at 1 watt (in a TubelabSE). The transformers are far better than their quoted specs. I imagine that they just spec these a little closer to reality. I will get a pair and test them eventually, but I haven't had the time lately. I am going to test out a pair of the 1700 ohm versions since I have a project that needs this value.

http://www.tubelab.com/BudgetOPT.htm

Quote:
All this talk that guitar amp transformers have to conciously be built "poorly" by hifi standards to sound good in guitar amps---- perhaps I could offer a different view and some counterexamples
In reality many of the guitar amp manufacturers of yesterday were concerned with cost, so their transformer designs were just cost reduced to the max. I have my own "HiFi guitar amp" that uses a Hammond HiFi OPT. It also uses a full range HiFi speaker. I love the clear tone, but the metal heads don't like it. It doesn't "Crank" like a Marshall.

Quote:
I've found that some guitar transformers, namely from Shumacher (Tubelab knows what I speak about) sound really nice
These transformers are designed for minimum cost. I have taken them apart. There is NO interleaving, one half primary, all the secondaries, then the other half primary (wound with thicker wire to help equalize the resistances). The laminations are the same thick ones found in their battery charger transformers. BUT, they do sound good if properly derated. The "80 watt" guitar OPT does about 25 or 30 watts with good enough frequency response for HiFi. I an using a pair in my 300B P-P amp!
Old 14th March 2008, 06:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I just gotta put in a SALUTE to George. You contribute a whole lot to the diy community while asking very little or nothing in return. All these transformer tests and other experiments are very valuable to those who can't afford or are unable to test otherwise. (My grad-student budget self included)

Your work has inspired me to build a g2drive sweep amp, something I'm looking very forward to getting together.

thanks again
Old 14th March 2008, 06:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com

The original XSE15-8-5K measured 10Hz to 41KHz (3db) at 1 watt (in a TubelabSE).
http://www.tubelab.com/BudgetOPT.htm
I read that page a while back and just reread it. That's a pretty encouraging test on the XSE. One thing I was thinking is maybe doing a SimpleSE with cheap iron and leave room on the chassis in case I ever wanted to upgrade.

Still would need to find a power transformer.

And also a box with a tube cage made out of something I could drill/punch with household tools. I got a kid in the house; anything I ever do with HV has got to be 100% inside metal.
Old 14th March 2008, 06:39 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I second Boris's comment,Much thanks for the valuable info. George!
Old 15th March 2008, 01:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All these transformer tests and other experiments are very valuable to those who can't afford or are unable to test otherwise.
The Tubelab budget is severely curtailed for 2008. The accountant says that Tubelab Inc. must show a profit this year since it hasn't shown a profit yet. Some of those transformers that were used in those tests will wind up in amplifiers that will be sold on Ebay in the next few months.

Quote:
Still would need to find a power transformer.
The power transformer that I recommend is the Allied 6K7VG which is about $42. I have also been able to find useful power transformers in surplus electronic equipment. I saved about 20 old HP audio oscillators from the scrappers truck. The power transformers in these turned out to be just right for a TubelabSE with 300B tubes.

Quote:
And also a box with a tube cage made out of something I could drill/punch with household tools. I got a kid in the house; anything I ever do with HV has got to be 100% inside metal.
I have seen some pretty unusual amplifiers made out of unusual chassis material. I have seen photos of users SimpleSE's that were made on inverted aluminum baking pans. The PC board and all wiring is underneath the "chassis" however the hot tubes are still accessable.

I built an amplifier using a conventional aluminum chassis, but I found a black steel mesh CD case at Target that made a great tube cage. This allowed the PC board to be mounted above the chassis since it was covered by the cage. The tubes and wiring are underneath the cage.
Old 15th March 2008, 06:45 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
The Tubelab budget is severely curtailed for 2008. The accountant says that Tubelab Inc. must show a profit this year...
Yeah, my "accountant" is telling me that too

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:02 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Well I posted on the Edcor support Forum about whether the GXSE is suitable for hifi and the word is that it's just got more low extension the the XSE but doesn't give up anything.

So, if I get my act together and start collection stuff to build a SimpleSE, I thinka I'll give the GXSE a try. It looks like such a good price point.

Hide this!Advertise here!