• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke Design - Basic Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(My apologies to all if the answer can be found elsewhere. My connection times out on searches!)

Hi.

Is there any basic, easy formula / program where I can input required choke DC current, impedance and basic core dimensions etc.to give me the answer ?

Andy

poynton said:
(My apologies to all if the answer can be found elsewhere. My connection times out on searches!)

Hi.

Is there any basic, easy formula / program where I can input required choke DC current, impedance and basic core dimensions etc.to give me the answer ?

Andy

Yes, there is one I use, made by Johan Heikkilä called "DC Filter Choke Designer".
You look it up in the web, it's quite good, although with some bugs regarding the character you use for decimal separation ("," or ".")

Go to Magnetics Inc. website

they have a FREE calculator for their materials... but it can be applied to others.

Generally cores intended for inductor applications are specified by their "A sub L" value.... this is the number of milliHenries per thousand turns.

All this can be found on the Magnetics Inc. website... as well as the classical Armstrong Method for calculations.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.