Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2008, 04:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default toggle switch for input selector

Is it a good idea to use a 4PDT toggle switch to switch between two inputs? I have two inputs on my integrated EL34 SE and I wanted to use a toggle switch for aesthetic reasons but I've heard that it could be noisy. The 4PDT toggle switch I have has a 10 milli ohm contact resistance @2-4V. I just want to make sure it will work before I mindlessly drill a hole into my beautiful chassis.

On the other hand, how do I implement 3 or 4 inputs or in other words what kind of rotary switch do I need for it? I've never done more than pair of RCA input until now...
Old 14th February 2008, 04:18 AM   #2
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
I used a DACT in my switchbox (3 turntables -> 1 phonostage)
Old 14th February 2008, 04:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To avoid pops and other noise when switching, I like to use make-before-break rotary switches. These are also known as shorting rotary switches. Toggles are only non-shorting as far as I know. One could even go so far as to use extra sections on a rotary to short out any selection that is not in use. Some say this helps reduce crosstalk, although I've not found that to be much of a problem. You probably don't need to switch the ground side, only the hot side. Small DIP relays are another idea.

Victor
Old 14th February 2008, 04:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to syntheticwave
If it this switch,

http://www.web-tronics.com/general-s...ches-4pdt.html

it should be a good choice to switch between two stereo RCA inputs.
Old 14th February 2008, 07:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
I've used toggle switches as I happened to have such at hand (but no rotary), and have had no problem.

However if you want to be fanatic, make an assy with some relays and some logic, controlled by the toggle switch, that shorts the inputs while switching.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you use a toggle switch, get one with gold (or gold over silver) contacts - best for low-level switching.
Old 14th February 2008, 02:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I use toggle switches in my integrated amp and they work great: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...55#post1069555

The TOCOS Toggle Switches have superior quality silver contacts and can be sourced from Percy Audio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p33.jpg (59.5 KB, 797 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th February 2008, 02:30 PM   #8
hermanv is offline hermanv  United States
diyAudio Member

There are toggle switches made for high power or electric motors, for a full size switch these will say 10 Amps or maybe 1/2 HP. These types typically have Cadmium contacts and will become noisy. Purists will not like anything other than silver or maybe gold contacts.

Spend a few dollars, buy the right switch (such as from Percy) especially if you're going to drill holes in a nice front panel.
Old 14th February 2008, 07:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input guys; I just might end up getting the DACT selector
Old 12th November 2008, 01:27 AM   #10
garak is offline garak  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a legitimate question.

Why are gold and silver contacts considered superior in switches? Isn't copper a better conductor than either? Is it really likely to corrode very much when encased inside the switch housing, in a typical home environment? That's the only reason for silver and gold right? Corrosion resistance?

Hide this!Advertise here!