• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help Needed- Replacement Volume Pot For a Fisher KX100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been working to rebuild this fisher KX100 that I purchased off of ebay last fall. So far I've replaced all of the older signal caps with new orange drops, upgraded the coupling caps with Russian PIO's, rebuilt the ceramic "Printed Circuit" RIAA networks and tone circuits with ones I built with discrete components, and replaced the rectifier diodes with HEXFREDS, but now I've run into a snag. The unobtanium 500K stereo volume pot/power switch combination is shot, and tracking worse the more I use it. The left channel is extremely faint, and does not track evenly with the right, suddenly becoming louder than the right when turned past 12 o'clock. This channel imbalance makes it impossible to use the phono preamp due to having to turn the right channel up to the point of feedback. Has anyone else here had a similar issue with a fisher volume pot and found any way to rebuild it, or know of a currently produced pot that would have the correct shaft to fit the original fisher knob? Having a power switch is not an issue, as i can install one somewhere else on the chassis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've always wondered the same thing as I have an old Fisher as well. Some of the pots are quite unique like the bass and treble pots with concentric knobs for individual adjustments of channels. I've never seen anything like it new.

My guess is that it would be pretty expensive if it were possible, but I've never heard of anyone who does that.

Maybe some of the old timers here know of something.

SpreadSpectrum said:
I've always wondered the same thing as I have an old Fisher as well. Some of the pots are quite unique like the bass and treble pots with concentric knobs for individual adjustments of channels. I've never seen anything like it new.

My guess is that it would be pretty expensive if it were possible, but I've never heard of anyone who does that.

Maybe some of the old timers here know of something.

The only thing i could think of is cannibalizing pots with similar wipers and contacts, and using them to rebuild it.

Sourcing an exact replacement is almost impossible.

Install a slide or rocker switch in place of a back panel convenience outlet. Now, you have a fighting chance at replacing the control function. If the control is associated with a loudness contour feature, you may be able to find a Noble conductive plastic part that will work. If you are dealing with "simple" ganged stereo controls of either linear or log. taper, the Alpha Taiwan stuff Mouser stocks should be suitable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.