Transformer Coupled Pentode Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2008, 07:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Coupled Pentode Question

I am pretty comfortable working with triodes, but other than in guitar amps (where I just do what Leo tells me to do) pentodes remain a bit of a mystery.

So, I have a triode strapped D3a in an amp as shown. This is a really nice headphone amp, but I got to thinking that maybe it would be interesting to experiment with the d3a in pentode mode.

I attached the pentode curves with G2 at 150V. B+ is conveniently at 150V already. So, if I simply disconnect G2 from the plate and instead connect it to B+ right before the output transformer, does this get me pentode mode? From the load line I drew for a 5K load, it looks like I need to lower the bias to ~1.25V with a 33R resistor, but is that all there is to it? Is there a better way to do this? And, what sort of changes should I expect? more power? More distortion? Anything?

Thanks,

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th February 2008, 07:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Transformer Coupled Pentode Question

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
...I need to lower the bias to ~1.25V with a 33R resistor, but is that all there is to it? Is there a better way to do this? And, what sort of changes should I expect? more power? More distortion?...

Hi,

grid current begins at -1,3Volt, so the bias -1,25 ist to small. And for decreasing the autput impedance of the pentod you're needing voltage feedback, this lowers the input impedance (in this schematic).

Regards Andreas
Old 12th February 2008, 07:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Transformer Coupled Pentode Question

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreasS
grid current begins at -1,3Volt, so the bias -1,25 ist to small.
I'm afraid I don't know what either of these mean. How do you know that from the datasheet?

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreasS
And for decreasing the autput impedance of the pentod you're needing voltage feedback, this lowers the input impedance (in this schematic).
Assuming this means I need some feedback somewhere? I'm afraid I don't even know where to start looking for how to do this ...

Hide this!Advertise here!