Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2008, 02:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hey tubelab (or anyone else), have you tried Edcor power transformers? I know they do custom jobs in small qty, and I almost bought a PT from them once, but the project got put by the wayside. If you have tried them, what are your impressions, any problems?
Old 6th March 2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Zap is offline Zap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris_The_Blade
Hey tubelab (or anyone else), have you tried Edcor power transformers? I know they do custom jobs in small qty, and I almost bought a PT from them once, but the project got put by the wayside. If you have tried them, what are your impressions, any problems?
I somewhat recently purchased an Edcor PT for my SimpleSE that is being assembled. I should hopefully have some comments on it (along with the CXSE "Big Edcors") in the next few weeks at most. Keep in mind I haven't tried a whole lot else, so it will be less objective.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey tubelab (or anyone else), have you tried Edcor power transformers?
I have not tried any of the Edcor power transformers. I need to find a new source for power transformers to use in TubelabSE's with 300B tubes, but I don't have the funds or the time to investigate any custom transformers right now.

I plan to try a pair of their "guitar amp" OPT next.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I did have them price a custom one out for me at the time, i have no idea where my notes went for that but i know it was reasonable, something like only 20 bucks NRE.

edit: O, now I remember....I told them what I wanted, and they already had a part for it, it just wasn't on their website. I wanted a 5V heater tap, and they already had a design that was suitable...nice people to talk with too.
Old 7th March 2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Zap is offline Zap  United States
diyAudio Member

Edcor is great with customer service. The $20 fee only applies if they don't have something in their catalog. It is also a one time fee, so once you pay it anyone else can order that design for their very reasonable, standard price.

They have been very helpful on the phone, and I think the power transformer I ordered for my SimpleSE is almost a perfect match for the Hammond normally used in the design, since I believe the Edcors are rated for 120V primary and the HV tap is just slightly higher than the Hammond (which runs high anyway due to its primary rating).
Old 8th March 2008, 02:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The 307A amp has been on for 5 hours non stop tonight. I have fed it some vinyl (Simon and Garfunkle, and Al DiMeola) a CD, and 2 DVD's (Loreena McKennitt). I am now torturing it with Apocalyptica's Life Burns DVD at the clipping threshold. 4 cellos and a drummer can do some serious damage! Ever heard cellos played through guitar effects boxes?

The Chinese 300B's have been voted off the island. I will build the 307A version of this amp. The 272JX is the coolest running Hammond that I have ever met. It is just slightly warm, although it is hardly taxed in this amplifier and I usually run Hammonds much harder.
Old 8th March 2008, 06:24 AM   #17
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

Waooww , great news Tubelab ! i' ll not use mines as large BW but on 299/805 combos of my VOTTs , as 515G are driven by a bank of 10 x 6080 OTLieds . Cellos without tremolo effect ?!
Old 9th March 2008, 04:18 PM   #18
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com

The Chinese 300B's have been voted off the island. I will build the 307A version of this amp.
Hello,
How did you get the 5 pin socket so close to the PCB designed for the 4 pin? Did you use jumper wires, or were the pins(tabs on the socket) close enough that you could bend them to the correct contacts on the pcb?
I'm a tube nube.. I'm sure it would make more sense if I had ever seen a 5 pin socket in person.

I got a couple of "cheap" (but not really) Chinese 300b's for building the amp w/ the idea of replacing them w/ better tubes in the future. Not having to spend the hundreds on a pair of nice 300b's would be quite nice!!

My Hammond 272JX is on the way. I should have this thing powered up for the first time by the end of the week (or weekend).

Thanks.
Old 9th March 2008, 07:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The 5 pin socket that I used was a flat ceramic unit designed for mounting underneath a chassis and wired using point to point wiring. It is the only type of 5 pin socket that I have seen. This was one of those 5 minute experiments that I did to decide the fate of a box full of tubes sitting in my warehouse, so I simply sat the 5 pin socket on top of the 4 pin socket that is already on the PC board and ran wires to make the connections. The OPT (blue wire) is wired to the plate cap on top of the tube (green wire) and a 100 ohm resistor connects to the screen grid pin. That 5 minute experiment is now in its second week.

I have not decided just exactly how I will make this a permanent arangement yet. I mak make some sort of adapter using a 4 pin tube base and the 5 pin socket, or I may mount the 5 pin sockets above the board somehow and use short wires for the connections. I will post the details once I figure it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg socket_b-2.jpg (80.3 KB, 517 views)
Old 9th March 2008, 08:06 PM   #20
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot! that clears everything up. I was also wondering whether or not you left the old sockets in place, and you've answered that too.

Hide this!Advertise here!