Linestage suggestion for Kuei Yang Wang's phonostage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Yaho is offline Yaho  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Linestage suggestion for Kuei Yang Wang's phonostage

Hi

In the past few days, I have been reading many threads on this post. And decided to build both phono and linestage amp. I have noticed that some of you built Kuei Yang Wang's phonostage which I am about to do as well. So, I am asking for your suggestions as to what type of linestage I should look into. I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you very much.

Yaho

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 6sn7 or 12b4 other suggestions?

Hi again

I read many threads concerning line stage options. They were very informative. I am actually narrowing down my options to either 12b4 and 6sn7. To be more specific, I am going to run these set up with EL84 based vintage amps and vintage altec set up.

Thanks again. I would really appreciate your input.

Yaho
Old 12th February 2008, 01:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Yaho

Depending on the input sensitivity of the power amps (which I expect t be quite low, I mean, something in the 100 to 500mV range) you may not need additional gain after the RIAA stage (this, off course, depends on the output of the RIAA stage, you can calculate that, as the gain of KYW's circuit is given = 42dB).

Additionally, if the RIAA stage is physically close to the power amps, a simple 1M volume pot at the power amp input may be 'enough' as preamp. I would recommend you to start with this setup, an additional preamp can always be added depending on the requirements you need (gain, low output impedance).

Erik
Old 12th February 2008, 02:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Line stage is for the CDs

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am not building the line stage for the phone. But it will be to play my CD. I guess my preamp will be a multi-functional in that sense. I should have made that clear.

Thanks again.

Yaho
Old 12th February 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Your CD player is likely to have an output of around about 2V, hence it is most likely that only attenuation will be required for it to drive your power amplifier.

If the output from the phono stage is in the region of 500mV - 1V, and your cables are reasonably short (i.e. relatively low in capacitance) then an input selector switch and an attenuator (or potentiometer) may be all that you need.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for that info

Thanks for that info. It's something I did not even think about. I will give that a try.

On the other hand. Has anyone built this Phono stage? I am patiently waiting for my parts to arrive. And I would love to hear from the ones who has built this phonostage.

Thanks very much.

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!