Hammond 1650W - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2008, 02:35 AM   #51
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
You are probably right. I was using 6336A's and 10 ohm resistors. I blasted a couple of mux chips before I added a series resistor and zener diodes.

With 10 ohms, my MUX would fry at >0.5A. That would be possible with the KT88's. Though The reason I went for one ohm sense resistors is to eliminate their effect on the circuit.
The INA118 isn't exactly cheap, but is an elegant solution and I've got a few in my parts drawer.

Quote:
This is true. I was bound by the rules of the design contest, and sprinkling in a few Microchip DACs and opamps was encouraged. Still, I would rather use a few $2 chips than a bunch of real cheap ones. It makes layout easier.[/B]

Well, I woudn't make my own DAC's for stuff I build for my employer (where it's a constant struggle for fit the required functionality into the given space) but for my own stuff, I like to play around. Little black blobs with SPI inputs are BORING!

Quote:
You have a valid point here. I didn't notice any noise related issues with my design but my output stages are cathode followers. The drive requirements are huge. A few mV of noise directly on the grid of the output tubes would not be noticed. I did have LPF's on the amp board.[/B]

I think that either way, given enough attention to detail can be made to work and I'm sure that what you're got works perfectly well, but I'm building a BIG thingie here and anything that provides a little leeway with minimal extra complication WRT to bypassing and layout is a bonus.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11th March 2008, 03:10 AM   #52
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt
I think that either way, given enough attention to detail can be made to work and I'm sure that what you're got works perfectly well, but I'm building a BIG thingie here and anything that provides a little leeway with minimal extra complication WRT to bypassing and layout is a bonus.

ARRGGHHH.
I ******** hate it when this POS Bill Gates software covertly fixes by typos with the substitution of incorrect words.

PS
Sorry for the rant.

EDIT:
....my typos....AARRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!