Hammond 1650W - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Koifarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Here in the netherlands they have build this year a 300Watt amp with 6550 tubes. If you interrested i can scan the artilkel with schematics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 04:11 PM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt

Attached below are a few crappy conceptual drawings of how Im going to construct this amp. (No dimensions added yet and the scribbles are not really to scale, but they should give an idea.)
The amp will stand upright, like a tower, probably 1 to 1.5m tall. It will be constructed around a TIG welded frame made from 50mm by 50mm aluminium angle 5mm thick. This frame will support everything, including the transformers.
Hilarious. Finally something that may outdo the hugeness of my class A PP triode 813 design that was the size of a 3 drawer filing cabinet/channel and weighed 90kg ea. The sort of OTT PSU and LCLC filament supplies were the main reason for the weight.

I'm gonna watch this project with interest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 05:49 PM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
tubelab.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: West Virginia panhandle
Quote:
There is a higher power and higher bandwidth alternative. Though shipped to AU Im sure its a pretty penny.
400W toroidal OPT. Supports 8 KT88.
They had some non potted versions of these on their surplus page, but they are now gone. I got a pair and these are the ones that I am using. The transformers were $138 USD each plus $65 shipping, DEAL!
__________________
Too much power is almost enough! Turn it up till it explodes - then back up just a little.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 06:09 PM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
richwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Alps:Tube amp designs over 150W, SMPS guru.
GKlein# spare a thought.
One of the biggest hiccups with the big game amps with crowded top chassis is ventilation. If one keeps to the 4" valve-holder centre to centre convention (as per KT88 GEC recommend) then for long term reliability a holed top chassis will keep it around 25C above ambient without a fan. That is already stewing. This issue has been in another thread.
I learn't early on to keep electrolytics in coolest places low down and tubes in upper places. Obviously if you throw-in a fan then there is added noise.
6 x KT88 creates enough heat to simmer an egg and if you are having regulator tubes thrown in, you can cut down the room thermostat.

richj
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 09:52 PM   #25
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by richwalters
GKlein# spare a thought.
One of the biggest hiccups with the big game amps with crowded top chassis is ventilation. If one keeps to the 4" valve-holder centre to centre convention (as per KT88 GEC recommend) then for long term reliability a holed top chassis will keep it around 25C above ambient without a fan. That is already stewing. This issue has been in another thread.
I learn't early on to keep electrolytics in coolest places low down and tubes in upper places. Obviously if you throw-in a fan then there is added noise.
6 x KT88 creates enough heat to simmer an egg and if you are having regulator tubes thrown in, you can cut down the room thermostat.

richj
Oh cmon, it's only going to dissipate about 700W at idle
My drawing wasn't very good, but standing 1 to 1.5 metres tall, I'll have plenty of room to spread the valves out.
Nearly all the dissipation is in the tubes and these stick out horizontally into the open through the vertical front panel.
I don't think there will be much of a problem with heat build-up on the inside.
I guess that I could easilly put some insulative mat between the inside of the front panel and the sub chassis onto which the valve sockets mount, as a good measure to really keep the heat on the outside.
This thing isn't going to be my main amp. It's going to be more of a piece of furniture in the corner of my living room, standing besides a hybrid (but mostly solid-state) 200W per channel class A amp and a 1kW per channel completely solid state class A amp that uses tracking rails to keep the dissipation manageable - both are currently under construction.

These amps will be lucky to get used more than an hour a month, and definitely not at all on warm days!
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 10:31 PM   #26
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by Koifarm
Here in the netherlands they have build this year a 300Watt amp with 6550 tubes. If you interrested i can scan the artilkel with schematics.

Yes, thanks! If the file size / resolution constraints here are not too tight, just attach them in this thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 11:52 PM   #27
diyAudio Member
 
tubewade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Humongous amps like these can be a supplement to your furnace when used during the cold months of the year. That's when I get to play with my big amplifiers. During the hot months I use small SE amplifiers most of the time.

Many of you probably know this, but for the benefit of those who don't, an amplifier dissipating 700 watts of heat will add about 2310 btu of heat to the room. Two will add 4620 btu and that is enough to heat a small room significantly. An amplifier dissipating 150 watts will only add about 495 btu. On average, a resting adult generates about 400 btu of heat, a 100 watt incandescent lamp; 330 btu.

Just some points of reference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 12:21 AM   #28
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by tubewade
Humongous amps like these can be a supplement to your furnace when used during the cold months of the year. That's when I get to play with my big amplifiers. During the hot months I use small SE amplifiers most of the time.

Many of you probably know this, but for the benefit of those who don't, an amplifier dissipating 700 watts of heat will add about 2310 btu of heat to the room. Two will add 4620 btu and that is enough to heat a small room significantly. An amplifier dissipating 150 watts will only add about 495 btu. On average, a resting adult generates about 400 btu of heat, a 100 watt incandescent lamp; 330 btu.

Just some points of reference.

700W is what my radiator puts out on the low setting - just right for a cool evening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 12:40 AM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
tubelab.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: West Virginia panhandle
Quote:
Humongous amps like these can be a supplement to your furnace when used during the cold months of the year.
We don't have any cold months, just warm and hot (85 F today). When I was actually considering building a 100 WPC SE amp using 833A's I was planning a scheme to vent the heat outside the house using a clothes dryer vent. Reality, and the lack of affordable OPT's, set in and killed that project.

Before I decide on the final implementation of my monster amp I will have developed a high efficiency tube amp design. I want the total dissipation under 200 watts. Tracking rails and SMPS technology is a given.
__________________
Too much power is almost enough! Turn it up till it explodes - then back up just a little.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 01:03 AM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
While we are on the topic of "Big" amps, checkout this one by Bob Danielak. It's a 10 year old design, but imagine what some new technology could do for it? http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1965/pp3cx300.html
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oiling a hammond B3 audiofan Instruments and Amps 10 9th June 2011 08:45 PM
Hammond PR20 Duke Davis Tubes / Valves 8 12th January 2009 07:27 PM
Hammond 1650F ThSpeakerDude88 Tubes / Valves 33 17th April 2008 05:01 PM
Hammond L-100 conversion rafaelblock Tubes / Valves 0 19th February 2008 05:16 PM
Hammond Transformers Gabevee Tubes / Valves 0 5th April 2004 02:47 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:30 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2