• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

westinghouse model 80 radio - eval for parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, I guess "look what I found" or "what did I bring into my home" fits this lump of iron.
I'm looking for information on a westinghouse model 80 radio. It seems to be from about 1935 - 40 and likely would take some serious dedication to restore. Oh yes, uses 24A - (affordable tetrode apparently) tubes and tubes which appear to be labeled UY-227 - some type of triode
I believe I could do the woodwork on the cabinet but it's soooo olde that I can't find any information on it (even used the search feature)

My amateur evaluation is maybe it's worth saving the iron, if I can figure out what it's output voltages are. Here's some clickable images, what do you think? Have you any weblinks for more info? thanks in advance.

At the risk of answering my own question there seems to be a UY227 triode amp schematic here: (not affiliated)
http://www.suertenich.com/html/27preamp.html

According to the CD of RCC radio schematics I have, this is a 1930-31 radio. In addition to the tubes you mention, it uses '45 tubes in a push pull output, so it certainly seems worth keeping. If it was me, I would restore the whole radio, not just the amp, but then I like old radios.

I would post the schematic, but I have never figured out how to capture the images off this CD. I can print it and then scan it, and post it that way, let me know if you are interested.

Almost forgot, you asked about voltages :
according to a table on the schematic the output 245's are 258 volts on plate, 47 volts on grid ie fixed bias through interstage transformer,
and the 227 audio driver tube is 129 volts on the plate and 8.9 volts on the cathode, cathode bias through a 2K resistor, bypassed by 1uF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.