• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help - tube radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Date?

I've just been looking harder, and realised that very few valve radios had ferrite rod aerials, and that the IF transformers are remarkably small. I think this must be quite a late valve radio. My Mullard ECL86 data sheet is dated 1963, so it could be late 60s.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
JDeV said:

When I add the string , must the cap and other tuner thing (what do you call it) both be turned all the way to the 1 side or must they actually be "tuned" for too other?

It would be nice to think that the string just goes in a large pentagon, but designers were often a bit imaginative here. You'll need to set both the variable capacitor and the variable permeability tuner to their clockwise endstops before adding the string. The larger pulley probably has room for the spring that holds the "string" in tension. When I was a kid, I had a lot of trouble putting the string back on and making it work afterwards.

It's not really string, you need fine non-stretchy nylon cord. The proper stuff is probably available on the web if you do a "vintage radio" search.

There's a very good book on restoring radios, "Electronic Classics" by Emmerson. He deals with all the problems, together with a very sneaky wheeze for replacing tuning scales.

Date question

Yes, I agree. An oddity is the size of the output transformer; It's too small for a good quality output stage. If they were economising, I would have thought they'd have used ECL82 which was cheaper at the time.

Conspiracy theory:
It used to have an ECL82.....

Has anyone searched for a schematic?

Hmm..

I think that the ECL86 is the right valve for the audio stage - if you look at some of the other components, such as the IF transformers, these are also smaller (and probably more modern) than you see on late 50s/early 60s valve jobs which would place this one mid to late 60s. By this time ECL82s had been superceded.

As to finding a schematic, if this set was an export model (it is a large chassis for so few components) designed for specific markets, perhaps originally a console model, a schematic might be hard to track down.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bournville said:
I think that the ECL86 is the right valve for the audio stage - if you look at some of the other components, such as the IF transformers, these are also smaller (and probably more modern) than you see on late 50s/early 60s valve jobs which would place this one mid to late 60s. By this time ECL82s had been superceded.

As to finding a schematic, if this set was an export model (it is a large chassis for so few components) designed for specific markets, perhaps originally a console model, a schematic might be hard to track down.

ECL86 is a triode/pentode, a self contained SE power amp. The ECL82=6BM8 has been superceeded?

Actually if you can find any schematic for something similar it would probably give you a good idea of what is happening.

Birmingham? -- i was just talking to a buddy of mine (from here) that plays LooseHead for Birmingham.

dave

I've had a quick check through my schematics, but I have nothing for Pilot after about 1963 - possibly the brand name went into disuse in the UK, the sets being released under another name.

As regards the ECL82, its just that by the mid-1960s UK manufacturers were preferring the ECL86 for output stages in radio and gram applications, and in pp circuits also. I think the ECL82 is a good workmanlike tube, I still got a few and one or two small amps using them in pp.

Er... what's a Loosehead?

Dave,

I'm surprised by that - the ECL82/6BM8 was a popular choice for the output stages in UK made radios in the latter 1950s/early 1960s. I've come across them on many occasions. Also a popular choice for single tube record player amps, in hybrids sometimes using the pentode's cathode bias resistor to develop a voltage to supply a transistorised AM tuner.

So... thats what a loosehead is, and I was made (forced!) to play rugby at school. Edyerkation aint what it used to be!

Obsolessence

Time to be bored to death:)

As far as I can remember, the P/ECL83 was the first to go out of favour with the designers, then the P/ECL82.
The P/ECL86 was the last of the triode/pentodes with this nomenclature.
In the UK another nomenclature was also used for a parallel (though not equivalent in any sense) family of triode/pentodes:
30PL12, 30PL13, 30PL14 come to mind. The first number might be wrong, or different - it referred to the heater voltage or current.

There's more where that came from:(

Cheers,

lovely old triode pentodes

Dhaen,

I think you're right, we don't need to pursue the development of the whole series of triode pentodes, otherwise we'll end up with the universal series also, the UCL82, UCL83 (but not a UCL86, at least, I've never seen one)!

What might be more useful is if anyone knows if Pilot radios were released in the UK under another brand name by the latter 1960s, because then we might be able to track down a schematic for DJev.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.