Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2008, 07:37 AM   #11
irishbk is offline irishbk  United States
diyAudio Member

Out of curiosity, what kind of speakers do you guys have going with this? I'm looking for some basic speakers for comfortable listening in my living room. Nothing too loud or fancy. I've found very little info on speakers that go well with the K-12. Either DIY or already made. I considered making some DelSol's, but those drivers seem to be out of stock. Thanks!
Old 7th February 2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

The ideal speaker choice depends on so many factors, size of listening room, typical listening volume, type of music, personal taste and so on. I've used DIY speakers as well as Dynaco A25s and Advent /1 with mine and thought they all sounded good.

The DIY speakers were moderately efficient at 93dB, the Advents and Dynacos are probably between 87 and 89dB. (1W@1M) If you aren't trying for ear-bleeding SPL that level of efficiency is probably OK, especially with most acoustic music. (Orchestral music, while acoustic has incredible dynamic range if recorded correctly and presents IMO more of a challenge to systems than heavy metal.)
Old 7th February 2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of speakers do you guys have going with this? I'm looking for some basic speakers for comfortable listening in my living room. Nothing too loud or fancy. I've found very little info on speakers that go well with the K-12. Either DIY or already made. I considered making some DelSol's, but those drivers seem to be out of stock. Thanks!
I'm running some BR speakers bassed on the Fostex FE127E. My woodworking skills aren't very good, so I bought a built pair off ebay for $330. To get good sound with the speakers I had to add some correctional circuitry which only cost like $20. Now the combo does very well given it's price point.

The K-12/K-502 also does good with my vintage JBL L100's when running the stock cross-overs. When I run upgraded crossovers the speaker becomes too much for this amp to handle.

If your planning on building your own, I'd do this
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project02/Project02.html
The FE167E will work as a replacement for the FE-164(this model was discontinues). However you will have to use different correction circuitry because the K-12/K-502 has an output impedance of about 5.5ohms(that's what mine measured). If you go this route I can help you determine the circuitry needed. If those are too tall for you, Bob Brines has a folded version design. Bob will also sell you the flats if you want to build it yourself but don't want to cut the wood.
Old 11th February 2008, 09:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Jeb and Sherman. Very helpful!
Old 11th February 2008, 10:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I noticed a mistake in my above post. My speakers are bassed on the FE167E not the FE127E.
Old 15th February 2008, 01:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

A couple of other questions, specifically in regards to the power supply. The Bugle pre-amp kit is designed using two 9v batteries as it's power source. My assumption is that there's no clean way to "steal" power from the K-12 kit. Am I wrong? Just trying to look for ways to not open up the chassis to replace batteries (or build separate power supply).

Additionally -- and I think this is a simpler matter -- if I wanted to add a power on indicator lamp into the amplifier... can I just wire that in series between the 12VAC input to the heaters? Or is there a better way to do it? Thanks.
Old 15th February 2008, 05:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

what do you need an indicator for when the tubes light up . If you really want to I'd suggest a small lamp that's meant for 120V and wire it after the switch on the primary side of the transformer. It's best not to add load to the transformer if you don't have to.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:40 PM   #18
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irishbk

Additionally -- and I think this is a simpler matter -- if I wanted to add a power on indicator lamp into the amplifier... can I just wire that in series between the 12VAC input to the heaters? Or is there a better way to do it? Thanks.

You would put it in parallel with the heaters but I agree with Jeb. The power transfomer is running near capacity in this kit and I wouldn't add to the load.

Consider using an illuminated on/off switch. They have three contacts on them. Two are for switching the AC hot and the third is for the AC neutral so the light can be illuminated. Easy, fast and no added stuff in the tube circuit.
Old 16th February 2008, 06:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys. That's what I thought as far as the power supply load. And you make a good point with regards to not really needing a power indicator light. Like in life, I tend to make things unnecessarily compliclated.

Hide this!Advertise here!