Chinese Tube Amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
bsgd is offline bsgd  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Chinese Tube Amp?

Hi all!

This is my first post here. Few weeks ago I got a k-12m kit and I love it... only problem is that its pretty low on power.

So I was thinking of getting a relatively cheap chinese tube amp, and I'm looking for recomendations. I'm in Brazil, so getting a used Dyna or something is not a good option, since custom duties here are very, very high (96%).

So, can anyone recommend me a good chinese tube amp and where can I order it??

Thank you very much!

Bernardo.
Old 29th January 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I have lot of e-mails from Chinese comrades offering parts for my systems. But while offering them they are asking for details of my designs. I suppose if I provide them some they'll start mass production of under-designed, under-thinked-off items flooding a market... It is what happens today: they have a huge manufacturing power, but don't want to pay adequately for designs.
Old 29th January 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wavebourn,

Yes, this is true. Thats why I'm asking for sugestions on a good chinese amp here .
Old 29th January 2008, 08:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by bsgd
Wavebourn,

Yes, this is true. Thats why I'm asking for sugestions on a good chinese amp here .
No pasaran!!!

Take an industrial control transformer, some tubes and other parts, and I'll teach you how to make one without their help.

Which tubes do you have already?

Which transistors do you have?

I've helped here already designing DIY stuff from available parts that is state of the art, now it's your turn. What parts do you have available, and what specs do you want?

Old 30th January 2008, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thankyou Wavebourn,

Here we go:
First of all, I'd like a high power amp, something like 40 to 60 watts per channel. Currently I dont have any tubes available (the ones I have are very low power).
Second, I wanna order all the main needed parts (like tubes, transformers, etc) from tubedepot.com.

I think thats all!
And I want something, really good
Old 30th January 2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Wavebourn,

You sounds like those chinese does not know a single things about tube amp design. BTW, most of the tube circuit are just some variation from old design in the dinasour age.
Old 30th January 2008, 02:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Wavebourn,
How about some ideas of a PP amp using NOS Tung-Sol 6550's, Edcor 6600 ohm 60 watt transformers and a Hammond power transformer rated if I remember 720VCT@250ma, 6.3VAC 8amps and 5VAC 4amps. I would like to integrated it to the preamp I am attaching using 12AU7 and 12AX7's. I have all these parts in my stock.

Thanks,
Sal Brisindi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sta-1 preamp.jpg (77.6 KB, 1143 views)
Old 30th January 2008, 02:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ipanema
Wavebourn, You sounds like those chinese does not know a single things about tube amp design. BTW, most of the tube circuit are just some variation from old design in the dinasour age.
I'm not really sure how to say this without it sounding bad, but I am going to try. Chinese amps aren't very good quality by the west's standards usually, but that's not a bad thing per se... First off, I've lived and worked in the People's Republic of China. So I'm not just posting random thoughts... so I hope you read on a bit.

The Chinese culture has to deal with 1.3 billion+ people in every thing they do. They do not have the luxury of sparse population like most western populations go. And despite their vast industrial/manufacturing power, it is very young indeed compared to the west.

That leads to 2 things. First off, you don't have to have good customer service, there's always someone else to sell to... or there is no other place to get it... etc. That's not to say all merchants are poor sellers in China, but the business concepts and mantra are different from the west. Here we push sales, move it move it move it.. there, it is like, we didn't sell it today, we'll sell it later... The precursor of that is the true communist state where prices were set by the state, the government signed your check and it didn't matter if you made sales or not... times are changing, but it's not like the west. Again, it's just different from here...

Second, with that many people, economy of materials is in every facet of life. Not long ago, people were starving to death in large numbers... that stuff doesn't just disappear overnight. As such, I believe the culture has ingrained a sense of economy in the people that doesn't necessarily match up with our rather selfish and luxurious audiophile equipment in the west... that doesn't mean there aren't luxury items in china, of course that's silly, but the idea of having the best there is is not prevalent like in the west, again, we've been wealthy for a long time and many of us don't realize how spoiled we are... (myself included)

Since most tube amps sound great, even the cheap ones, they are very happy with the products they are making. And you have to remember, in the west, we are very rich and very spoiled. (myself included). That said, our ideas of the ultimate tube amp, might not be the best solution for someone else.. like the original poster.

In this case, one of those Chinese amps might be a great way to get a 50watt tube amp...

And in the case of the Chinese where they might make 800-1600 yaun a month soldering... (that's 100-200US) these (even cheap) tube amps are a fortune...

I guess I ultimately am saying that even though they aren't the luxury items we typify of a tube amp in the USA or EU... it doesn't mean they don't have value or a place in the big scheme of things. So, they may or may not have a place in your home... obviously, everyone here would help the poster build a tube amp, but maybe we should also support the idea of getting a cheap chinese amp too, if that fills a need... after all, it's about the music... not just the parts that make it... and A tube amp is better than NO tube amp... peace. -Sean

BTW & PS - the old designs comment... come on... not true at all... much has changed over the years... even if some things have not... despite the fall of tubes in industry, it doesn't mean forward progress hasn't been made.
Old 30th January 2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

When a product gets good enough to be seriously considered, it seems that it can still be fairly priced, but not bargain priced even if made in China. See Cayin prices.
Old 30th January 2008, 06:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK, I'll say it!! You GET what you pay for.... The Far East is all about looks/cosmetics, they look great. I've repaired 2 Chinese amps and got to REALLY INSPECT the quality. The quality is very poor and not made to last long and this pertains to xmers, pots, switches, wire, everything. They won't last like a Dyna etc. and the sound is nothing special. There are a lot of posts on "how can I improve my Chinese amp". Then $300 later you still have a medicore Chinese amp. Quality is what it's about! Save up buy a well known quality piece. .... Try getting parts for a Chinese amp???? Be carefull............

Hide this!Advertise here!