Front Panel Express finishes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2008, 03:44 PM   #11
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am building the Karna as well... I find it interesting that you are doing one PSU chassis. I've thought about that as well. I am not quite ready to do the layout yet, my PSU transformers should arrive in a week or two (ordered from Onetics).
Old 29th January 2008, 04:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshK
my PSU transformers should arrive in a week or two (ordered from Onetics).

O_O

Let me know how you like them. I am considering O-netics for the output transformers (digs deep into pockets).

I will say, however, I am very happy with the Electraprints. They are extremely quiet, in comparision to the typical Hammonds, and have very good (5%) regulation. Beefy trannies.
Old 31st January 2008, 05:55 PM   #13
jrebman is offline jrebman  United States
diyAudio Member

Any advice on powder coating an aluminum top plate? I need a deep red/burgundy top plate to use on a gold tone Koa base, and the only way I'm going to get the color I want is either custom powder coating or car paint. Should I go for the raw aluminum, or something clear anodized. Will the powder coating heat destroy a chromated finish on the underside?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 31st January 2008, 06:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrebman
Will the powder coating heat destroy a chromated finish on the underside?
No. Power coating is an electrolytic process, and doesn't require heat. You can actually tape the areas you don't want coated, and put the plate through the process. Pull the tape off when you're done. I would think this would work just peachy.
Old 31st January 2008, 06:49 PM   #15
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zigzagflux

No. Power coating is an electrolytic process, and doesn't require heat. You can actually tape the areas you don't want coated, and put the plate through the process. Pull the tape off when you're done. I would think this would work just peachy.
every powder coating process I've ever seen has a baking step where the powder is permanently adhered after spraying the powder.
Old 31st January 2008, 07:07 PM   #16
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

zigzagflux,

At the risk of irritating Josh, Jack at ElectraPrint is probably as good as you can get for power.

PM Lynn Olson for his current view of the filament situation for the DHT's. We do have filaments powers with near absolute balance between halves of the secondary windings and extremely good shielding. Josh will get his in about a week and can report.

O-Netics is as good as you can get for the audio output transformers. This includes the interstage devices.

Tribute is still the best sounding input splitter transformer, but very costly. Sowter has a very good unit also. When I get to i,t we will also have a very good input splitter, based upon the preamp outputs we have.

Lundahl has some very good small signal transformers that can also be used as input splitters.

On a different note, all transformers are going up in price pretty dramatically. Materials pricing has doubled for all items, with one material having risen by 1700% in 4 years (M6 core) and the copper base price up 400% in 2 years. Not an excuse here, just a warning of what to expect.

Bud
Old 31st January 2008, 09:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Being this is my thread, I guess I can threadjack a little. If it goes anywhere, I could start another thread.

Thanks for your reply, Bud. It is an honor to have you provide advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
ElectraPrint is probably as good as you can get for power.
That is comforting. I want the best that I can afford, and Jack's prices, while high, were justified given the quality. I ordered shielded trannies, too, because I know how you and Lynn feel about shielding and keeping heater supply separate from power supply, which is what I did. O yes, I definitely read and take your(s) advice.

Quote:

PM Lynn Olson for his current view of the filament situation for the DHT's
I will do that; at the risk of getting flogged with boos, I have already built and tested 4 regulated DC supplies for the output stage. But I am always open to try, if the benefits of AC outweigh the annoying hum. Was careful to use split bobbin transformers and common mode chokes; we shall see.

Quote:

O-Netics is as good as you can get for the audio output transformers. This includes the interstage devices.
I believe you. I have not yet bought the iron for the amp proper, as there are a few paths of the design I am considering. However, you will definitely be considered for the iron. Lundahl's 1620AM would be your competition with me. Kevin at K&K is a great supplier of iron, service, and moral support.

Quote:
Materials pricing has doubled for all items
You ain't kidding. Even more surprising is the fact that most mining company stocks are in the toilet. Patience, patience.

Hide this!Advertise here!