Well, tell me what you think ( 300b ) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2003, 09:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Default Well, tell me what you think ( 300b )

Alright. My 300b amp came in today. I ordered it off a guy who builds them on ebay, and guarantees them..etc. He uses the JElabs 300b stereo SE schematic, ..but after looking inside it i think he used it somewhat loosely.

My whole concept was to buy something to start with, then upgrade it piece by piece so i could hear the difference.

and with that, i submit :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top1.jpg (31.8 KB, 1228 views)
Old 25th February 2003, 09:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default and

and
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top2.jpg (36.9 KB, 1196 views)
Old 25th February 2003, 09:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default bottom

bottom..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom2.jpg (62.5 KB, 1204 views)
Old 25th February 2003, 09:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Default VALUE FOR MONEY.

Hi,

Quote:
All I want to know is, for $550, was it worth it?
The price is rather steep considering you didn't get the tubes with it.

Lessee,
Old 25th February 2003, 09:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just think he skimped on a few things, like the quality of binding posts and RCAs ( which seem like radio shack ),...the resistors aren't the standard Riken Ohm, i think the trafos are homebrew. That kinda stuff...

Stuff i couldn't tell pre-auction, but i'm noticing now..

-maz
Old 25th February 2003, 09:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Well, tell me what you think ( 300b )

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetmaz
He uses the JElabs 300b stereo SE schematic, ..but after looking inside it i think he used it somewhat loosely.
Has he supplied you with a schematic of the amp that you can compare to the original to see if there are changes? Considering what you have paid it would be a small thing to include also....
Old 25th February 2003, 09:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

he included this one, although he didn't send the stereo version....so i don't know what to make of the cap values he used.
Especially that big orange one in the lower left hand corner....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 300b.schematic.gif (35.6 KB, 1171 views)
Old 25th February 2003, 10:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hmm...

As far as I can tell the diagram is a direct copy of the one on the Angela website, so you might have to reverse engineer the amp to see if there are changes - the cap values appear to be those recommended in the original.
Old 25th February 2003, 10:16 PM   #9
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Well let's see, figure $300 for iron and probably another $100 for parts, that's $400. So the guy charged you $150 for putting it together. Punching all those holes and all that mounting and assembly he probably has 20 hrs in it, so that's less than 10 dollars an hour. Bear in mind these are estimates and I have built three tube amps in the last year from scratch. I generally have $270 building a little EL84, and can easily spend two days getting it ready to go. If he told you he followed the schematic that does not mean he bought the same parts unless he tells you that. Gold plated hardware, the good stuff costs a lot of money. So does the more exotic resistors and capacitors. I know that guy that built that JE labs has a lot more than $550 in that amp even without the tubes. The cheapest 300b I know of with cheap tubes is $780 and it's a kit.

Now if he told you he was building it just like the JE Labs right down to the paint then you got a major beef. Bottom line, what's it sound like? You wanted something you could upgrade. Now you can listen to the sound difference as you replace cheaper parts with better ones and see if you hear a difference. You can get the parts list and find out what it all cost and don't forget to include the shipping on parts. It doesn't look like that bad of a build, and I hope it sounds good. Have fun
Old 25th February 2003, 11:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I built the JELabs version and followed Derek Waltons parts list almost to the letter. I easily spent twice what you did. If you like the sound, then I say you got a great deal! If not, then tweak till the cows come home

Regards,
ck

Hide this!Advertise here!