Well, tell me what you think ( 300b ) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2003, 01:32 PM   #21
Account Disabled

hi,

one of my private use we300b also use this JE lab circuit.
only one resisters I change is the 3.3K 5W. I change to 27K 5W.
because if use 3.3K the voltage for 6sn7 is too high.
only the GTY grade 6sn7 can use. But i like the VT231.
So low down the voiltage.

pls see my amp.

thanks

Thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my we300b se amp.jpg (46.2 KB, 517 views)
Old 30th May 2003, 10:23 AM   #22
James is offline James  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question 300B Kit Amp

dear Magnetmaz,

I just had to reply to your complaints about your USD500 purchase of a 300B kit Amp. Just to remind you that you paid USD 500, What did you expect a Gold Plated Chassis. The Iron alone is worth USD 400 + another USD 60 for bits and pieces. To be honest with I do not know how the Guy who supplied you is making any money out of it. Unless he is making these by the thousands. USD 500 does not sound like a bad deal to me, so I suggest that you delight in your purchase. Even if it sounds crap, you have still got USD 500 worth of parts that you can only improve on.

James
Old 30th May 2003, 10:12 PM   #23
Morse is offline Morse  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Magnetmaz;

Assuming that the iron's okay, it looks fine for the $$ to me. I spent more than that building my 2A3 to the JE Labs circuit, so I doubt the guy made much money off it - heck, if I were to start building amps professionally I'd need to make at least a couple of hundred USD off each one given the amount of time and effort involved in custom building. And that's assuming I was willing to work for sub-minimum wages.

Frankly the iron looks a lot like the Hammonds I've used in some of my amps - sorry can't tell too well from the photo (maybe he pulled the labels?). As far as the RS fittings are concerned, they work fine - when I was young and foolish I used to spend a lot more money on name brand fittings, but not any more. Nowadays I go with whatever I can afford from Parts Express or Radio Shack; know what? They sound fine.

Only changes I'd make up front are cosmetic - I like the previously posted idea of putting some wood side panels on it. Also, I would personally prefer to shorten the lengths on the control shafts so that the knobs would sit closer to the panel. FWIW, although I too prefer toggle switches, I'd leave the power switch alone since it's already got a square cutout in the chassis. You'd have to make a fitting to cover that hole and it's just not worth the effort.

What brand valves are you putting in there, anyway?

Good luck and let us all know how it sounds!!
All the best,
Morse
Old 30th May 2003, 11:39 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

What are the dimensions of that chassis?
Old 31st May 2003, 01:50 PM   #25
Account Disabled

hi Saurav,

which chassis looking for.

thanks

thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com
Old 31st May 2003, 04:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry, my question was directed at Magnetmaz. I'm not looking for a chassis, just trying to get an idea of the size of the chassis in those pictures.
Old 10th June 2003, 04:45 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Better figure more profit, Morse

Even a couple of hundred won't make it Morse (I am assuming you meant this in a genral way my friend).

By the time Fed taxes, SS, local sales taxes etc. are paid, you will actually lose money. This is assuming a one man operation.

Business is a real killer, as far as paying taxes, fees etc.

Take care.
Old 10th June 2003, 06:31 AM   #28
Morse is offline Morse  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Positron;

Yes, that was a general 'no bureaucratic expenses' kind of figure off the top of my head, rather than a "going into business" kind of number.

>>>...By the time Fed taxes, SS, local sales taxes etc. are paid, you will actually lose money. This is assuming a one man operation...<<<

That fits with what I've been finding out lately; even a one man operation would have a lot of trouble making money unless a hefty premium over the parts cost were charged.

Thanks and all the best,
Morse
Old 10th June 2003, 12:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Yikes, i had no idea this thread was still alive. Sorry for my late reply to questions:

This guy makes these amps regularly and sells them on ebay. If you search for 300b amp on there, you can typically find him selling one of his makes. He makes this chassis which is a 12" X 12" X 2", another stereo chassis which is 12"x8"x2", and monoblocks...which cost a bit more.

The Trafo's he makes himself...which is probably where he makes up his profit.

The amp sounds great though. I've got all EH tubes in it now, with the exception of a NOS JAN RCA 5U4.....i had some crazy tung sol NOS 6SN7, but i had problems with them and ocilations....i'm not sure why.

Sounds awesome through my Klipsch horns.

-Maz
Old 10th June 2003, 02:58 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Khorns

Sounds like you really like them? How well do they image? Sweet spot very large? How about room dimensions? Do they need a lot of room?

Thanks,
Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!