• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSUD question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using a GZ34/5AR4, with a 500V/120ohm PT, CLC of first cap of 40uF, a 1.2H/18ohm choke, then a 560uF cap with a load of 100mA, I get crazy graphs and an over-current error.

Is the choke too low in resistance/inductance and that is overstressing the GZ34? It's an old monster of thing, would I be better buying a 5H ~100 ohm one?

Thx

Hi

Sorry made a mistake in my original post the power transformer is 850VCT, or 425-0-425

I get it, you have to highlight the graph and drag it to rescale.

Hmmm, looks like I'm getting 400mA pulses through the GZ34, my choke must need more inductance/resistance...

Didn't get a chance to run the sim, but by looking at your values it seems like a tough load for the rectifier durring the power up cycle(if the rectifier you are refering to does cross-reference the 5AR4). Especially in a worst case, real-world situation, like tubes are warmed up then you power it off, then back on before they are cooled down.

I'd either,
- Reduce capacitance
- Increase L and or R (you could just add a resistor in series with the choke if you already own the choke and have the voltage headroom to do so)
- Change rectifier type

Or a combination.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.